VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Comparing the film seen on the camera's LCD screen, and the transfered raw-DV-AVI file, I noticed a major downgrading.
    The details on the LCD screen were by far clearer, and the display was brighter. The camera is Sony (TRV18e) and I used WindowsMovieMaker. I just transfered the file with no editing or manipulating into DV-AVI file. The result was less than average: grainy and dark film, color shift and more.
    I believe it happends mostly when the lighting condition is medium or less, because in other well litted cases, the result was O.K.

Do you have any idea how to overcome this problem or to avoid it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I assume you are viewing your video file on a computer monitor. Computer monitors are high resolution progressive scan displays and therefore your camera's NTSC interlaced video will probably look less than good on it. Don't worry, it will look fine on a standard televison. Also, you may need to adjust the contrast, color, etc. of your monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like you're comparing what you see on a ~2" cam LCD to a monitor many times that size. The bigger the screen, the worse it will look as each pixel loses definition. Remember that you only have so many pixels to fill a screen - no matter how large or small.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well, you are comparing a 3 inch screen to a 17 in computer monitor. the camera screen is much smaller, and therefore will look better, and not show the video flaws.

for helping the grainy video, always white balance the camera before you start shooting. you need to white balance again everytime you move into a different room with different lighting then the last.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You could try another DV codec, the picture/some colors can look a bit dark and boring with some codecs. I prefer Panasonic DV codec for bright colors. Open in virtualdub to see the difference frame by frame. It will look better on the TV usually.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like everyone has said, try looking at the footage on a regular TV, it will look much better.

What I did with my Sony, was to lower the brightness setting on the LCD, so I woulnd't get fooled into thinking I was getting great footage.
    Digital ISO Productions
    Quote Quote