VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to figure out where I have a problem in analog (8mm) video capture. I have been told an external digital device (DAC, Canopus, etc.) with a firewire connection to the PC will bypass my video card. Is this true?

I'm asking because I get the same poor AVI capture results using either one. You can view the raw AVI capture and discussion at the following link:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=939982#939982
    Mick
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes, an external capture device like the canopus advc-100 will bypass the video card. when you use a firewire connection, it will transfer the video to the computer as a dv avi file. i just skimmed through your other post, but i bet you will get better quality with an external capture device.
    Quote Quote  
  3. MickB,

You said this was analog 8mm tape. Are you by chance using a Sony Digital8 camcorder to play those tapes back so you can capture them?

I didn't see the make/model of camcorder listed in your previous thread...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, by chance I'm using a Sony 8mm camcorder (about 4-5 years old) and rca cables connected to my AIW video card. However, it's not a digital, just analog. I have also connected my camcorder to a DAC external device with firewire with the same results. I also have used my much older camcorder with the same results (it's a Sony too).

I have given the same 8mm tape to a friend and he captured just fine using the same DAC device. I have just about given up on trying to capture.
    Mick
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sitlet. Thanks but as you can see by the last post, an external capture device created the same degraded video capture. So if it's not the camcorder, the tape, external capture, or video card, what? About the only thing left is the motherboard or hard drives.

A friend is going to lend my his camcorder with an SVideo out and I will try that and see if there is any difference.
    Mick
    Quote Quote  
  6. You've left me with only the faint hope it could be clogged video heads on your camcorder. I sure can't think of anything else...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Motherboard and hard drives aren't going to cause that effect. If they were too slow you would get dropped frames, but no this sort of extreme combing.

You said in your previous post that you friend had been able to capture cleanly on his system using your camera and tapes. What does he do differently to you ? Different hardware ? Software ? Cables ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This has been going on for a while so at this point I would "throw in the towel" as the saying goes and do the only thing left to do ... REFORMAT!

Drastic YES but it has been known to solve "oddball" issues like this.

REFORMAT and REINSTALL your windows operating system and then be sure to ONLY install the video/audio codecs you need for capture.

Oh and of course back-up all your shit first

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  9. guns1inger,

That's what is driving me nuts. He captures using the same programs as I have and using all the normal default settings. Perhaps FulciLives is correct, reformating. Thanks for trying.
    Mick
    Quote Quote