VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!
    Well heres the deal guys, I have a movie that I would like to convert from AVI to M2V (MPEG2 without audio), to be able to author it with DVDMaestro later. Here's the problem, when I have converted the AVI with TMPGEnc I get these choppy frames, I think I know the problem (My movie's framerate is 23.976 and I want to convert it to 25fps) but I don't know how to bypass it. I have also tried to convert the movie in CCE Sp and there I don't get any choppy frames but instead I get an annoying white stripe on the right side.
    Please help me! I appreciate anything.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. This may sound a bit long winded but it works by shrinking/stretching the length of a frame intead of adding/deleting frames. Use Tmpg normally it will add delete/frames as it converts to make up the framerate. (apparantly tmpg will do this if in the advanced settings you tick off "do not framerate conversion" but I've never been happy with the translation so have avoided it.

What You Will Need:

A copy of virtualdub (google will sort it...)

Then install the frameserver client for virtualdub by going to virtualdubs install directory on your PC and double clicking on the auxilliary setup . Follow prompts to install frameserver client (only needs doing once, will always be installed after this)

Then

1) Open the movie with virtualdub

2) Now go to video - framerate and select change to 25 fps.

3) Now go to file - start frameserver. Hit START on the next window. Then select the location to save a virtualdub signpost file for TMPGenc to use. Name 'mymovie25fps.vdr' or whatever.

4) Now open TMPGenc. In the wizard select PAL and when asked for a video and audio file to convert Browse but open filetypes 'all types' and load up the 'mymovie25fps.vdr'.

The rest for TMPGenc you know. (settings - advanced - video arrange method - fullscreen(keep aspect ratio)) Stream type ES video only

Virtualdub will now convert the video framerate (by changing the speed at which a frame plays serving it at 25 fps to tmpgenc.(100 minutes of movie now becomes 95.9 minutes of movie... if tmpgenc had done a straight conversion you would have ended up with 100 minutes of movie again.... 4 minutes of extra (duplicate frames) added to the movie).
    ------------------------------------------
    If you dont want to use the frameserver instead of starting it up you can save the avi from virtualdub (video - directstreamcopy, video - framerate - 25 fps)

Dont bother trying it for 29.97 fps to 25 though. The film gets slowed down so much its like watching it in slowmotion.
    you know it's the anti-Midas touch when all you touch goes to shit..............
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You will also have to change the audio so it matches the new framerate,use besweet with gui and select presets ntsc-pal(23.976 to 25.000) and output to mp2 or wav or ac3.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ok, thanks a lot guys! I will try this at once.
    Quote Quote