VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It all started with wanting to write a DVD disk...

I have an NEC-1300A in an external enclosure, connected to a firewire card in my computer...a common configuration from what I've read on other forums...the drive works perfectly to install programs, to write CD-R's, to copy CD-R's etc...using ECDC6

I am trying to start a little business authoring the digital videos I take for paying customers...I've got a 50 minute video all ready to burn to DVD, but alas, it won't work!!! Once the video is encoded using DVD Builder, the DVD-R is kicked out of the machine and I get a mesage that reads "The parameter is incorrect"

Taking a peek in the program, I look at the drive properties (in Creator Classic, Tools and Drive Properties)...it lists all the different formats that are compatible to my drive under "Supported Media"...but there is "NOTHING" in the "Write Speed" drop-down box!!!

I've even gone into Device Manager in WinXP Home edition and looked at the "Volumes" tab...clicking the "Populate" button checks to see if there is any media in the drive...sure enough, it sees a blank disk...

I've even tried to create just a data DVD in Creator Classic...there is "NO WRITE SPEED" selectable in the drop-down box in the "Record Setup" window...

Now, obviously, something is amiss somewhere...does anyone have "ANY" kind of idea what could be wrong??? I need to get this thing under way pretty soon, as I have a paying customer waiting for the DVD I promised to produce for him!!!

I "REALLY" appreciate any help anyone can provide!!! Hope to hear from someone REAL SOON!!!

Gerry_Emm
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, a little further investigation has shown the following...
    I eject the DVD media from the drive and all of a sudden, it shows a write speed of 16X (I am assuming that is for CD-R's...)
    Could it be that it's not recognizing the media I'm using???
    I got 2 cake boxes of Princo 4X DVD-R 4.7 GB's along with the drive...

I checked and the drive is firmware revision 1.05...I see Herrie's has revision 1.08...would that help???

I've never flashed a DVD writer, so I'm a little apprehensive!!!
    Can it be flashed safely even though it's connected via firewire???

Thanks in advance for any replies...I really DO appreciate the help!!!

Gerry_Emm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Damn this piss anyone else off?

Loser here wants to start a conversion business but he can't even get his DVD Burner to burn a DVD

And Princo media don't work well with the burner you got.

Like dude do your homework.

Just because you have the money to buy a damn burner and computer don't mean you can do video conversion.

This is serious shit we talk about here with many many ...

Oh **** it

blah

You know what ... go pay someone to fix it for you.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. I've got to say it irks me too. Maybe I wouldn't say it the same way as you, FulciLives, :c) but I am seeing more and more of this.

Most wouldn't start out by saying "I'm starting a business" or "I have a business" and then proceed to ask us everything they need to do to make it work. But I have a strong feeling there are many more wanting knowledeable people here to tutor them for free and hold their hands while they try to build a business to profit from.

I have absolutely no problem with someone who seeks out the knowledge necessary - on their own! - from all the resources here and elsewhere and comes along to ask a question or two or get opinions.

But if they want a battery of on-call consultants, how about a share in any profits?

Is anyone else who posts often getting private messages from new "members" without a single post asking for start to finish instruction? It's started for me. And not all are the typical "newbie". These are adults, apparently well established in various buinesses, asking for FREE private tutoring by PM.

I did not envision that as a consequence of trying to help people out here with the odd question or snag.

I don't worry too much about posts like above. I assume, unless they drastically wise up and change their ways, they will fail, and fail miserably.

Having a "customer" before having a working product = Doomed

This is not personal to Gerry but to anyone who does not do the research before expecting to profit easily by what we know to be a demanding and challenging undertaking even if only as a hobby.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    The Rogue Pixel: Pixels are like elephants. Every once in a while one of them will go nuts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well normally I would fall in line with the others, but I'll be nice.

1. I don't think you can flash the burner properly in the external box, you should coonect it as internal to flash the thing.

2. Update your Aspi, probably with force ASPI from adaptec.

3. Most people will read this and laugh when they see you are using EZCD to encode, author, and burn. You would get a little more respect if you were using something as lowly as DVD Movie Factory. But that is just my opinion.

4. You might have to update or change the firmware in the external box to support a non standard drive. I had to do this for a CDRW.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is anyone else who posts often getting private messages from new "members" without a single post asking for start to finish instruction? It's started for me. And not all are the typical "newbie".
    That's because you are always so nice to everyone. You need to rip into a few once in a while. Show that you have teeth, and you know how to use them, claws are not enough sometimes I'll make you a nice scarey avatar tomorrow, for now you can just borrow mine if you like. It scares some of the riff-raff away (and invites the other kind of riff-raff ) This because I am a proud member of the undesired element of riff-raff that used to hang out somewhere else, but that is another story for another place and time.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi VILLAGE IDIOT you're so nice today, have you started taking your medication again?
    "Whenever I need to "get away,'' I just get away in my mind. I go to my imaginary spot, where the beach is perfect and the water is perfect and the weather is perfect. The only bad thing there are the flies. They're terrible!" Jack Handey
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by The village idiot
    That's because you are always so nice to everyone. You need to rip into a few once in a while.
    LOL :cD Not always. I try to give everyone the benefit of a doubt - to start. After that, claws can come out, if deserved. :cD

Believe me, I am no angel when I reply to those arrogant, intrusive and presumptuous PMs. Still a lady. :c) Just not such an angelic lady. :cD

PS - when there is no doubt - like in the above original post - I believe it's kinder to be honest about it.
    The Rogue Pixel: Pixels are like elephants. Every once in a while one of them will go nuts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gees
    This is not personal to Gerry.....

Just incredible.
    PM me if you want an explanation.
    W.
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No. I don't. Stop asking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. I don't. Stop asking.
    Okay, then stop it with the two-faced shit.
    Now, click here
    W.
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're boring me. I'm ignoring you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're boring me. I'm ignoring you.
    Again, two-faced, stop responding you annoying sycophant
    W.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well now...I see the only way you can get a hand around here is to be one of the "elite"...

Well, to answer your questions, I've been in business for myself in other areas since 1994...I also have a second job, just to make ends meet...I work an average of 16 hours a day...I've paid my dues and I don't owe any of you any more explanations than that...as far as having the money to buy this stuff, yeah, I guess I do...but I worked damn hard to get it...I HAVE been doing my homework since June, when I got the damn thing and it didn't work back then either...

I got the job to produce the DVD quite by hazard, not cause I sollicited it...it just fell into my lap and I thought this might be an opportunity...in the small town where I live, I ain't stepping on any toes by doing this...

I am a member of many other forums and this is the first time I've been flamed this way...everywhere else, I've been treated with respect...

So, if posting one stupid little message on this forum asking for a bit of help is too much to ask, well then, screw it...besides, it took 24 hours just to have the right to post!!!...I'd say I'll take my business elsewhere, but this is supposed to be a place where people help each other for free!!!...I'll continue to do my homework USING RESOURCES OTHER THAN THIS PLACE...I'll erase the damn link in my favorites and be out of you damn hair...

Oh yeah, and Mr. Moderator, go ahead and bar me from your forums...like I'll ever come HERE for help again!!! All I have to say is that it's a good thing I'm no newbie to forums...if this is the way you guys treat all newcomers, you must not get many new people...

Happy now????

Oh, and by the way, just before I take off, I flashed the drive with version 1.08 and guess what...it sees my media now... :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ Mr maturity with the clown face

Why don't you just give some advice to the original poster instead of using this post to vent your own petty squabbles?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, that's another satisfied customer.
    "Whenever I need to "get away,'' I just get away in my mind. I go to my imaginary spot, where the beach is perfect and the water is perfect and the weather is perfect. The only bad thing there are the flies. They're terrible!" Jack Handey
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gerry. I hope you do stop back. I am glad you solved your problem, honestly. :c)

For me, my reply was to TVI.

Had you simply asked advice on flashing a drive things would have been different.

Unfortunately, the other things you mentioned were very characteristic of many recent posts and - though unintentional by you - fueled a bit of venting on some people's parts, myself included.

I don't think anyone wants to make anyone feel unwelcome. There are no "customers" or "business" here. All this is free and voluntary. If people want to have a little rant, just skip over it, weed out any useful information and do with the advice what you choose to do.

Although sometimes there is useful info to be found in those rants. ;c)

Yours is not and will not be the only thread this happens in.

Good luck with your plans.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gerry_Emm
    Well now...I see the only way you can get a hand around here is to be one of the "elite"......I've paid my dues and I don't owe any of you any more explanations than that...as far as having the money to buy this stuff, yeah, I guess I do...but I worked damn hard to get it...I HAVE been doing my homework since June, when I got the damn thing and it didn't work back then either...in the small town where I live, I ain't stepping on any toes by doing this...I am a member of many other forums and this is the first time I've been flamed this way...everywhere else, I've been treated with respect...
    The problems you've just encountered are, unfortunately, not unique to just your post.
    Regardless of my post to Gees which was unconnected, petty and childish for too long new users like yourself have been put off my instances such as this.
    It would appear you do have to be an expert in video matters before you're assisted by some, which is unfortunate because (as you already know) we're all learning, it's just that some are slightly ahead than the rest of us.
    Good luck with your venture, there's more members dipping their toes in the same pond than you might think, and it would appear no one wishes to share the information they've already taken from others.

Originally Posted by Roderz
    @ Mr maturity with the clown face

Why don't you just give some advice to the original poster instead of using this post to vent your own petty squabbles?
    Yes, accepted, my apologies to the original poster.
    Will
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well now...I see the only way you can get a hand around here is to be one of the "elite"...
    Not true. We just ask that you don't be a complete moron and/or a jackass. A wiseass is OK as long as you aren't a moron.

Well, to answer your questions, I've been in business for myself in other areas since 1994...I also have a second job, just to make ends meet...I work an average of 16 hours a day...I've paid my dues and I don't owe any of you any more explanations than that...as far as having the money to buy this stuff, yeah, I guess I do...but I worked damn hard to get it...I HAVE been doing my homework since June, when I got the damn thing and it didn't work back then either...
    whine whine blah blah whine whine blah blah who cares.

Oh, and by the way, just before I take off, I flashed the drive with version 1.08 and guess what...it sees my media now... :P
    Did it occurr to you that the only way you could get the PRINCO media to work was to flash a hacked firmware.

If you really have done your homework here since June (that's at least 4 months) then you would know that most of us feel that PRINCO media is SHIT and that the particular model/make of DVD burner you have is well known for NOT liking PRINCO media. I almost fell off my chair when you said you got two cake boxes of it with your burner

Listen ... in short I and other people here are sick and tired of morons like you comming here and asking questions when you clearly do not even know ANYTHING at all. If you really did research then it was very poorly done. You made YOURSELF look like a moron by making such a stupid dumb post.

You may think I'm full of shit but YOU are the one in trouble when 6 months or so from now people are comming to you with complaints that their PRINCO DVD is no longer working or that they are having playback difficulties etc.

And if you think we are snobs when it comes to newbies just try posting this crap over on the doom9 website

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just when you think everything in this post is going to end on a postitive note, FulciLives comes along and shows that he is an ASS!!

Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps several users should take another look at the rules for these forums.

"This site hopes to promote a safe and educational environment for people to gather to discuss and share ideas that relate to video creation and playback. "
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I too have started my own business (i have opened a shop selling fishing tackle) i have my shop kitted out and ready to go, i didnt bother researching the market and finding out what will or wont sell, i didnt bother finding any wholesalers/supliers of fishing tackle, in fact i sat on my arse for 6 months before opening and did nothing. Now i have a shop with no stock and i havent got a clue what i,m gonna sell if i get any stock.

despite all this i hope to be a millionaire next year.

if only it was that easy.

fortunately all the above is untrue, the fact is i spent months doing the research and as i have been a fisherman for more than 25 years i have the knowledge, i have a huge supply list and know what will and wont sell.

this time next year i hope to start making a small profit.

the moral here is ....... do the research before you try to sell something that you know sod all about.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by randall_nash
    Perhaps several users should take another look at the rules for these forums.

"This site hopes to promote a safe and educational environment for people to gather to discuss and share ideas that relate to video creation and playback. "
    5 posts and 2 of them are in this thread.

Are you interested in learning about video creation and playback or what?

Get a life. Keep to yourself.

Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't post often because I almost always find what I need from guides and posts. I have a great life, which is another reason I don't post often unlike some others who shall go unnamed. I came to this thread hoping for some enlightenment and only found idiocy (and not from Gerry_Emm). Perhaps the moderator should take a look at posts like the previous few and the history of those making the posts. Just because you post more often doesn't make them meaningful.
    Hopefully everyone can be a little more mature and get off the RAG.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    By the way FulciLives, are all of your posts this informational?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by randall_nash
    By the way FulciLives, are all of your posts this informational?
    I always try to be as helpfull as I can but sometimes I do fly off the handle but usually it's for at least a half decent reason.

As for my extremely enlightening and informational posts simple CLICK on PROFILE in any of my POSTS then when the next screen loads simply CLICK on "Find all posts by FulciLives"

Hopefully you will find some usefull information.

At the very least it might keep you busy so that you don't have time for making pointless posts that don't really concern you.

Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have already done so and some are quite enlightening. As for the posts not concerning me, I would not have read it in the first place if I didn't think I would find something that might concern me.
    Anyway,
    Touche'

Randy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tweedledee
    Hi VILLAGE IDIOT you're so nice today, have you started taking your medication again?
    There is no medication that will help me. Just though he had been given a fair amount of shit for the day.

I guess everyone just skipped past without taking note that these are 4 things that must be checked, updated for his success. And if you are stating that you use EZCD to burn your disks, generally I shake my head and move along. I don't like it, I don't use it, I can offer no help with it. The fact that it comes bundled with many drives, does not make it a good app.

Hey, where the hell is FOO on this one? He must have missed it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by The village idiot
    Hey, where the hell is FOO on this one? He must have missed it.
    I swear in front of my maker that the phrase beneath my username was made two days before I saw this post
    Will
    Quote Quote