VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just received my LG 4040B DVD drive from a ebay purchase and cannot find any threads about flashing the filmware. I thought I had read here that I should do it. What is the benifit, where is the filmware to reflash it to and how do I do it. Believe me I searched befor I asked but maybe Im using the wrong terminoligy.

Any hel is greatly appreciated.
    Swing a hammer at it, if it doesn't fix it I gaurantee you will feel better.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you try just entering your model number in the search box on this page? Maybe someone's asked and answered before in existing threads.

Or look up your model in the database here. There's databases for Media, Players, Writers, & Capture cards. Perhaps someone's left useful info in the comments sections that will help you.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    The Rogue Pixel: Pixels are like elephants. Every once in a while one of them will go nuts.
    Quote Quote  
  3. http://us.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp

Click on Device Driver, then CD-RW, then find

New firmware Ver A300 for GSA-4040B DVD-Writer

Your search didn't find any threads because you misspelled firmware as "filmware."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Wow, I have always read it as filmware. Thanks for the glasses.
    Quote Quote  
  5. hey thanks lgmayka,

I just followed that link and downloaded the firmware. How do I know what version I currently have and how do you actually upgrade if neccessary?

Currently the drive is sitting in a box on my desk, I am still following the thread on how to correctly open the box!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi Duke
    Unzip the firmware file and read the instructions. It tells you how to flash your drive. The included software would say what firmware your drive currently has. Make sure you follow the instruction strictly otherwise the firmware would not be effective. I went through the pain.
    By the way lgmayka,
    Did you figure out out your burning speed problem? My drive works really smooth now, CloneDVD has been treating me really good, backing up movies in about 14 mins.
    Quote Quote  
  7. DUKE107: If I recall correctly, the firmware that comes with the drive is marked on the top of the drive. If it reads A300, your drive already has the latest firmware; if it reads A104 or such, you need the firmware update. After the drive is installed and has its own drive letter in Windows XP, you can right-click on the drive, select Properties and then Settings to see the firmware version.

rits399: No, I can still only burn at 2x. I am actually going so far as to wonder whether my spindle of RITEKG04 blanks was actually a mixture of American/Asian disks and European disks. According to another poster, LG Europe admits that the GSA-4040B will not be able to burn, at 4x, RITEKG04 disks that were manufactured for the European market, because the data layer thickness of such disks is too thin.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My drive works really smooth now, CloneDVD has been treating me really good, backing up movies in about 14 mins.
    rits399, I'm using CloneDVD as well with my 4040, what media are you using? I'm using Memorex +R 4x exclusively.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I got some certified 4x dvd-r media from newegg.com but my LG 4040B burns them only at 2x despite the latest firmware. But, it can burn 4x dvd+r at 4x
    Quote Quote  
  10. Trance_Rocks,

What are the brand and media code of the 4x DVD-Rs you bought?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got some certified 4x dvd-r media from newegg.com but my LG 4040B burns them only at 2x despite the latest firmware.
    The Princo discs I've burned are like that, both DVD-R and CDR (on my Yamaha F1).
    Quote Quote  
  12. A301 (kw) out... some saying they can burn princo's @ 4x now
    Havent tried it myself though...

vattumannen: I downloaded the new Firmware too and now it works at 4X.
    I've tested with Princo DVD-R and BULKDVD, burning software was
    Nero 6.0 Ultra Edition.

Here is a link to the Firmware upgrade A301:

http://www.lge.co.kr/open_data/GSA-4040BA301(kw).zip
    10110101100111012011 <- The bug Bill doesn't talk about.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I've upgraded to A301 now, and my drive now it recognises my princo discs as 4x
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you p0rnLiME and thank you vattumannen!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I just canīt read the Read Me (Kw).TXT file in the GSA-4040BA301(kw).zip file about LG 4040B Firmware update. When I open the file. :I see some like of this: #&ŋ" .&.
    I download this file twice. Can somebody help me ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's in Korean. I just ran the flash program since it was in English, everything went well, after the reboot my 4040's BIOS read A301.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just run the update, it works!.

Princo 4x now burn in 14.5 minutes, 4.464 Gigs.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I went onto LG web and only found the A300 firmware where did you get the A301?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Look up at the link that vattumennen gave in p0rnLiME's message.
    Quote Quote  
  20. If you need a english readme file you could always download an "older" firmware and read it's readme... It would be similar to the one you want, just imagine that it says A301 instead of A300.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by p0rnLiME
    A301 (kw) out... some saying they can burn princo's @ 4x now
    Havent tried it myself though...

vattumannen: I downloaded the new Firmware too and now it works at 4X.
    I've tested with Princo DVD-R and BULKDVD, burning software was
    Nero 6.0 Ultra Edition.

Here is a link to the Firmware upgrade A301:

http://www.lge.co.kr/open_data/GSA-4040BA301(kw).zip
    THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've had my LG 4040B for about 1 and a half months, and have been waiting patiently for a firmware update to surface! I see that one now has! GREAT! Time to download and update! Thanks to all the above people for searching out and finding the update! When I first bought my drive, I couldn't find anywhere on the net that had an update for it.
    Quote Quote