VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to get an MKV file to play on my PS4 Pro, but can't seem to figure it out. I just checked and the PS4 Pro can play MKV files, but only "H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level 4.2 format"

My question is...how do I do that ? I looked and it is in H.264....but what about AVC ? I would like to keep the original file because I know that if I convert it to MP4, wouldn't it lose quality ?

I know that the PS4 Pro can't play H.265, which after some digging, is what the video is. Can I convert that to H.264 ?

I'm using handbrake.
    Last edited by Spottedfeather; 20th Oct 2024 at 08:39.
    Think about this. Once bread becomes toast, you can't make it back into bread.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mkv -c:v libx264 -profile:v high -level:v 4.0 -c:a copy output.mp4
    Provide your file details:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mkv
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rgr View Post
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mkv -c:v libx264 -profile:v high -level:v 4.0 -c:a copy output.mp4
    Provide your file details:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mkv
    I'm sorry, but I don't know what any of that means.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Open the source file in mediainfo, view>text, to see the details.
    Post the info here
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Open the source file in mediainfo, view>text, to see the details.
    Post the info here
    Okay. I did that...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does PS4 play files at 4k resolution? Not according to this:
    https://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/ps4-video-formats.html

Use HB and convert it to 1080p
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, PS4Pro can play 4k files. PS4 probably also.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, PS4Pro can play 4k files. PS4 probably also.
    Wish I could figure out how to do it. I have an MKV file that my PS4 Pro won't play because it's the wrong kind of MKV apparently. I COULD encode it to a mp4, which I've done, and I think I've gotten the quality ALMOST as good, but I'd like to keep ALL the quality.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    You can try repacking from mkv to mp4 (without any loss of quality and fast).
    ffmpeg -i input.mkv -c copy output.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That doesn't do anything. It keeps telling me that -i isn't recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

-i A Christmas Carol (1999) 4K Upscale AI.mkv -c copy output.mp4
    -i A Christmas Carol (1999) 4K Upscale AI.mkv -c A Christmas Carol (1999) 4K Upscale AI.mp4

What am I doing wrong ?

This is just maddening. I just tried something else....ffmpeg -i A Christmas Carol (1999) 4K Upscale AI.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy A Christmas Carol (1999) 4K Upscale AI. mp4

All that happens is that I get this...
    Error opening input: No such file or directory
    Error opening input file A.
    Error opening input files: No such file or directory

I'm done. I will just never get this movie to play on my playstation...
    Last edited by Spottedfeather; 22nd Oct 2024 at 12:58.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use vidcoder to re-encode to h.264 and keep the original till you get a ps that plays h.265.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Use vidcoder to re-encode to h.264 and keep the original till you get a ps that plays h.265.
    His original file is H264...
    Last edited by rgr; 22nd Oct 2024 at 14:15.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
    That doesn't do anything. It keeps telling me that -i isn't recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

-i A Christmas Carol (1999) 4K Upscale AI.mkv -c A Christmas Carol (1999) 4K Upscale AI.mp4

What am I doing wrong ?

This is just maddening. I just tried something else....ffmpeg -i A Christmas Carol (1999) 4K Upscale AI.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy A Christmas Carol (1999) 4K Upscale AI. mp4

The name should be in quotation marks.
    ffmpeg -i "A Christmas Carol (1999) 4K Upscale AI.mkv" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "A Christmas Carol (1999) 4K Upscale AI.mp4"
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM

What am I doing wrong ?

ffmpeg -i "A Christmas Carol (1999) 4K Upscale AI.mkv" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "A Christmas Carol (1999) 4K Upscale AI.mp4"
    Huh. I thought I tried that but I guess not. It seems to be working now. The file is still all choppy and skip-y in the beginning like an mkv file, but maybe it will play properly on my playstation...if the playstation will actually read it now that it says mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Playstations don't play H.265
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you read what i said 'till you get a ps that plays h265' which means in the future,but as stated the file is only h264.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
    I'm trying to get an MKV file to play on my PS4 Pro, but can't seem to figure it out. I just checked and the PS4 Pro can play MKV files, but only "H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level 4.2 format"

My question is...how do I do that ? I looked and it is in H.264....but what about AVC ? I would like to keep the original file because I know that if I convert it to MP4, wouldn't it lose quality ?

I know that the PS4 Pro can't play H.265, which after some digging, is what the video is. Can I convert that to H.264 ?

I'm using handbrake.
    Your video is already AVC:
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L4
    H.264 is AVC, so this is already ok, but the profile of your video is main, level 4 but should be high, level 4.2.
    So you need to recode your video with this specifications.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    H.264 is AVC, so this is already ok, but the profile of your video is main, level 4 but should be high, level 4.2.
    It can be lower, but it cannot be higher.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you read what i said 'till you get a ps that plays h265' which means in the future,but as stated the file is only h264.
    I DID read what you said....and the file isn't H264.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM

I'm using handbrake.
    The file is H.265
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM

What am I doing wrong ?

I did convert the file...but it's not going to work on my Playstation 4 Pro. Even though the file was converted to an mp4, it's still h265, which playstations don't play.

any ideas ? I want an mp4 and also to keep the original mkv file's quality.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM

I'm using handbrake.
    what encoder is needed ? What number do I need to set the constant quality to get the exact quality of the source file ?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    what encoder is needed ? What number do I need to set the constant quality to get the exact quality of the source file ?
    1. Paste the MediaInfo report from your original MKV file. From what you pasted it looks like it's AVC. AVC=H264.
    2. You won't keep the original quality, at most you can keep it at say 98%. And I've already given the command
    (ffmpeg -i source.mkv -preset slower -crf 17 -c:a copy output.mp4)
    You should get a file about 60-70% bigger than mkv. If you get bigger, it means that the quality of mkv is not that good...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oops
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. Paste the MediaInfo report from your original MKV file. From what you pasted it looks like it's AVC. AVC=H264.
    2. You won't keep the original quality, at most you can keep it at say 98%. And I've already given the command
    You should get a file about 60-70% bigger than mkv. If you get bigger, it means that the quality of mkv is not that good...
    Here's the mediainfo. And I was fine with the quality...but I still won't be able to play the resulting file as it's still H.265, which the PS4 Pro doesn't play.

Also, that's not the code you posted before.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    Here's the mediainfo. And I was fine with the quality...but I still won't be able to play the resulting file as it's still H.265, which the PS4 Pro doesn't play.

Also, that's not the code you posted before.
    ffmpeg -i source.mkv -preset slower -c:v libx264 -crf 17 -c:a aac -b:a 192k output.mp4

You can also do it using Handbrake or clever-ffmpeg, but I can't help you there because I don't know the programs.
    Quote Quote