VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I can't talk about the details of the case, but one part of it hinges on whether a doctored video was produced by the accused (who is based in New Zealand) or their accomplice in Thailand, who they're trying to lay everything on. The metadata is below. Obviously the bit that sticks out is the +12:00 (New Zealand is a UTC+12:00 timezone) on the creation date. But the accused is claiming that they didn't *create* the video, they merely uploaded it, and must have appended a new creation date in the process.

So I got some real specific questions, hopefully this is the right place to come for the very specific expertise?

1. Does anything apart from Apple Quicktime call itself Quicktime? i.e. Does some other thing produce files "written by QuickTime" due to weird library reuse/legacy/compatibility weirdness?
    2. Are the encoding date and the com.apple.quicktime.creationdate both written by QuickTime? How should I interpret them being an hour apart?
    3. Is there any reason why uploading/downloading - eg. via Facebook, or Whatsapp or Google Drive - would change the encoding date or the creation date?
    4. What does com.apple.photos.originating.signature mean? Was it recorded a video recorded with the Photos app?

Hope you can help me crack this one!

Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : QuickTime
    Codec ID : qt 0000.00 (qt )
    File size : 426 KiB
    Duration : 8 s 888 ms
    Overall bit rate : 393 kb/s
    Encoded date : UTC 2022-05-13 09:16:15
    Tagged date : UTC 2022-05-13 09:16:16
    Writing library : Apple QuickTime
    Copyright : aef7074170af1dde98098fe248d159a5
    com.apple.photos.originating.signature : AS4jG3aGyTLsjXeWmpj4eKRsTYOo
    com.apple.quicktime.creationdate : 2022-05-13T20:18:49+12:00
    Quote Quote  
  2. 426kB seems a bit too small even for only 9 seconds.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Did you find an answer to, "What does com.apple.photos.originating.signature mean? Was it recorded a video recorded with the Photos app?"
    Quote Quote