VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone, I'm new to this so forgive me if this post is stupid. Recently I bought the I-O Data GV-USB2 to capture VHS tapes. It's great because it keeps both fields (unlike a lot of VHS capture devices.) I've been using it with deinterlacing enabled in OBS to capture VHS tapes to 60p MKV files (I know this isn't an optimal setup.) Anyways, I want to upgrade my setup. I'd like capture into a 30i file (preferably mpg or vob, but it doesn't matter too much to me.) The only problem is that I don't know how to do this. I've heard that VirtualDub has the capability to do this, but I haven't been able to figure it out. So, does anyone know a good way to capture VHS tapes into an interlaced file or could help me figure out how to do it in VirtualDub?

P.S.
    My VCR is a Panasonic PV-7400 (which I'm aware isn't ideal since it's not stereo.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Normally all you need to do is set capture format to 480(30i)/576(25i) then all active video lines from both fields should be recorded however driver may process signal in own way so you need to try. Personally i avoid lossy codecs and capture video with lossless codecs (such as huffyuv for video and pcm for audio). Later you can transcode such losslessly captured video to any codec you wish. This remark is especially valid if you use CPU for compression, for "GPU" assisted capture this is less severe problem as they support real time compression.
    Quote Quote