VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have made a 576i exact field ordered DVD and played it back on my PAL DVD player in Britain to a PAL CRT TV, and with a phototransistor and Arduino (which expects exactly 50Hz), I can read each of the fields correctly, they are showing white (on) or black (off) at the exact correct times. That's all good.

I am planning to send this to someone in North America, who I hope will be able to use their equipment - CRT TV: Hinari Sunrise TVA1 (Samsung tube) and DVD Player: Panasonic SA-HT790V - To read the same 50Hz field order (and timing).

How likely is that to work? To be clear, I need for them to be able to read the fields in the exact same order and at the same timing of 50Hz. The things i'm worried about are:

1. Even though the Hinari Sunrise TVA1 looks like a PAL TV (To be honest I don't know what the Samsung Tube part is about), I don't know how PAL TVs behave being powered in North America - I assume the power supply will be using AC at 60Hz and that might determine the frame/field rate, instead of being powered by 50Hz AC like in the UK (Another assumption is that they have an adequate 110/120v Supply).

2. The DVD player is definitely NTSC, the manual says so, how will that affect matters? I can burn the DVD again with DVDStyler and set it to NTSC, but I'm pretty sure my DVD player (LG DVC8700) behaves the same when I burn an NTSC version or PAL version, so I'm not sure how it will change things in NA.

Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by matalog; 1st Oct 2024 at 18:09.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by matalog View Post
    I have made a 576i exact field ordered DVD and played it back on my PAL DVD player in Britain to a PAL CRT TV, and with a phototransistor and Arduino (which expects exactly 50Hz), I can read each of the fields correctly, they are showing white (on) or black (off) at the exact correct times. That's all good.
    I understand you refer to the exercise here:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/415848-Working-with-25i-or-576i-videos

I am planning to send this to someone in North America, who I hope will be able to use their equipment - CRT TV: Hinari Sunrise TVA1 (Samsung tube) and DVD Player: Panasonic SA-HT790V - To read the same 50Hz field order (and timing).

How likely is that to work? To be clear, I need for them to be able to read the fields in the exact same order and at the same timing of 50Hz.
    The SA-HT790V is a NTSC player, so it most probably won't play PAL discs. NTSC is 720x480, 29.97i, usually BFF.

1. Even though the Hinari Sunrise TVA1 looks like a PAL TV (To be honest I don't know what the Samsung Tube part is about), I don't know how PAL TVs behave being powered in North America - I assume the power supply will be using AC at 60Hz and that might determine the frame/field rate, instead of being powered by 50Hz AC like in the UK (Another assumption is that they have an adequate 110/120v Supply).
    I would be surprised if it would work when powered from 60Hz mains. One would need a 60Hz->50Hz/120->230VAC frequency converter.

2. The DVD player is definitely NTSC, the manual says so, how will that affect matters?
    NTSC players usually do not support PAL discs.

I would suggest you go through the earlier PAL exercise but do everything NTSC compliant from the beginning, and use a legacy NTSC CRT TV.
    Or think about doing it in a progressive format (halving the speed of the white squares data stream) to be compliant with today's progressive monitors.
    Last edited by Sharc; 2nd Oct 2024 at 01:47.
    Quote Quote  
  3. FYI: Region Code 2 DVD players can play NTSC and PAL because Japan is part of Region 2 and they use NTSC. They tend to be multi-voltage/herz as well..
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    MKV file, USB stick, Blu Ray player.
    Problem Solved.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    MKV file, USB stick, Blu Ray player.
    Problem Solved.
    Exactly. It's the only way to be sure.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It will almost certainly not work with your friend's equipment.

However, if he has a computer with a DVD player, it should play on that just fine. Also, if he has a way to connect that computer to a more modern TV with either USB or HDMI inputs, it should play there as well.

The big issue is trying to use a CRT TV. They are hard-wired for 60Hz NTSC. No way around that without doing a standards conversion (PAL --> NTSC). I have done quite a few of those, and while they look OK, it sure looks a lot better to play it on a device which is capable of playing any resolution and frame rate natively, like a computer or modern TV.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    It will almost certainly not work with your friend's equipment.

However, if he has a computer with a DVD player, it should play on that just fine. Also, if he has a way to connect that computer to a more modern TV with either USB or HDMI inputs, it should play there as well.
    It may play but the encoded data will not be readable. He's binary encoding data at 50 Hz. Most North American computer monitors and TVs will not run at 50 Hz. So the computer will duplicate some frames to convert 50 fps to 60 fps. That will mess up his data encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have found out that the person in North America has got a 50Hz Supply for their PAL TV, so, it should be able to work correctly at 50Hz.

Will the NTSC DVD player be able to output 50Hz fields to the PAL TV??
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    It will almost certainly not work with your friend's equipment.

It may play but the encoded data will not be readable. He's binary encoding data at 50 Hz. Most North American computer monitors and TVs will not run at 50 Hz. So the computer will duplicate some frames to convert 50 fps to 60 fps. That will mess up his data encoding.
    Yes. The OP's 50 bps data need to be sampled synchronously (phase locked) which is not possible with 60Hz (or an integer multiple thereof unless it is also an integer multiple of 50, like 300,600 ...) monitors. Maybe the OP could prepare and encode his data for asynchronous transmission and sampling (adding redundancy for error correction, using self clocking codes ....), complicating the encoding and decoding process.
    Easier probably to do everything NTSC compliant from start.....
    Last edited by Sharc; 2nd Oct 2024 at 16:18.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by matalog View Post
    I have found out that the person in North America has got a 50Hz Supply for their PAL TV, so, it should be able to work correctly at 50Hz.

Will the NTSC DVD player be able to output 50Hz fields to the PAL TV??
    So the CRT TV part is basically solved. But I am afraid that his particular NTSC DVD player model (Panasonic SA-HT790V) won't output 50 fields per second to the PAL TV. Shouldn't be a problem to find a PAL DVD player at ebay or similar.
    Quote Quote