VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. For a long time MKVMerge used to mess with headers on default settings, which broke rewinding on my BluRay player. I used this workaround to make a scannable file out of it: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/352097-After-remux-with-MKVMerge-to-add-subs-scanning-is-slow

It drove me crazy since it's savings on the level of 100-500 KB for a 5 GB file. Old files sometimes come out smaller when remuxed! Luckily the dev reversed the change eventually, tyty for that

I don't know a good way of figuring out which files need the treatment, other than ignoring versions < 5 and >50-60 or so. I end up trying most long files manually on the player but I'm getting bored of it.

Someone suggested looking for "Muxing method : Header stripping" but compressed headers never showed that for me on MediaInfo (v24.05.1)
    Quote Quote  
  2. never tried, but mkvinfo might help
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by LordFlashheart1066 View Post

Someone suggested looking for "Muxing method : Header stripping" but compressed headers never showed that for me on MediaInfo (v24.05.1)
    You might need to view the text mode (view=>text), or one of the detailed modes . The basic display might not show it
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    never tried, but mkvinfo might help
    Is that the info tab in MKVToolNix? I just checked about a dozen files and was about to pronounce KaxSeekHead as required for scanning, then found a file that scans without it (checked again on the player right now). Weird

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You might need to view the text mode (view=>text), or one of the detailed modes . The basic display might not show it
    Sorry for not mentioning, I always use the plain text view, not the default one.
    Quote Quote  
  5. mkvinfo (https://mkvtoolnix.download/doc/mkvinfo.html) comes with mkvtoolnix.
    I suspect that it is also shown in mkvtoolnix, but I haven't used that properly in years. I only use mkvmerge, mkvextract and mkvinfo via command line.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yeah seems to be the same thing, only needs -a to show everything that can be expanded in the GUI.

I can't put my finger on what the differences are. So far it seems all files where scanning/seeking works have the KaxSeekHead entry and most files where it's doesn't don't have it, but not all. (Tested about a dozen large files)

It would be nice if anyone could figure out if/where these options here leave a signature, since that's what I use to fix my mkv files:

--clusters-in-meta-seek
    --engage no_cue_duration
    --engage no_cue_relative_position
    Quote Quote