VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A friend brought me today a bunch of mini DVD discs about 10 discs. When I checked them on my PC, I discovered that he didn't finalize the discs because of sheer ignorance about how important this is.
    On top of that he mentioned that his camcorder Sony? (I think) doesn't works. He lost the original power supply connector but there is a power connector for a 7.9v power adapter which he doesn't have.
    I checked for solutions and there is a mention of a software called CDRoller which costs $49 to buy. There is also a trial version but I have no idea about it's limitations.
    I am guessing the cheapest way is to try to get his camcorder alive again, give him instructions how to finalize (not going to be easy) and then I can recover them using my PC.
    Is there a cheaper software application that can do what CDRoller does?
    Thanks for your suggestions and help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Isobuster. To do what you need probably will cost, but there will be no limitations then. (Longtime satisfied user)

It could finalize the discs, if you wanted, or better yet could just extract all of the material without needing to finalize.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I considered Isobuster but it costs $60 and my friend doesn't want to pay for a one time job and then he will never use it.
    I wish there are applications like these that are fully functional for a limited time (subscription option) say for one month or more.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Have you tried the free IMGBURN?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Have you tried the free IMGBURN?
    No I haven't.
    The discs are not finalized. Will it be able to extract the files?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Thanks. I considered Isobuster but it costs $60 and my friend doesn't want to pay for a one time job and then he will never use it.
    I wish there are applications like these that are fully functional for a limited time (subscription option) say for one month or more.
    Unfortunately , there are not many:
    The DIY Video Editor: A Step by Step Guide for Dealing With Unfinalized DVD Discs

Possible the Nero trial version would work?

But if you not want to go the path of not so legal "solutions" , why not get a replacement power supply?
    They are not that expensive.
    Of course you need to check the exact model, but many Sony camcorder models use the same type i think?
    Google: Sony DCR-DVD series power supply
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tested files extraction using Recover Disc 2.0
    It is an old software and the GUI doesn't look appealing but it helped me.
    The trial version lasts 30 days with limitation of extracting only two files a day.
    License costs about $30. It took a very long time to show me a list of the files and then I managed to extract the two largest files.
    After discussing with my friend, he decided it would be better to pay the $60 for Isobuster, although I didn't get any videos extracted. So it is a bit risky but a calculated risk.
    The extracted files had a resolution of 704 x 480 pixels. Is this normal for mini Discs?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @The_Doorman thanks for the suggestion.
    This is the first thing that I suggested to my friend but he said that he suspect the camcorder is faulty because the last time he used it, it stopped working.
    I will get him a power adapter no problem. The connector size is tiny I think it is the kind that has yellow ring.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I tested files extraction using Recover Disc 2.0
    It is an old software and the GUI doesn't look appealing but it helped me.
    The trial version lasts 30 days with limitation of extracting only two files a day.
    License costs about $30. It took a very long time to show me a list of the files and then I managed to extract the two largest files.
    After discussing with my friend, he decided it would be better to pay the $60 for Isobuster, although I didn't get any videos extracted. So it is a bit risky but a calculated risk.
    The extracted files had a resolution of 704 x 480 pixels. Is this normal for mini Discs?
    Taking a (very) long time for reading/extracting/finalizing seems normal, i think the whole disk needs to be read/indexed which can be a very slow process.
    704 x 480 pixels is correct for NTSC DVD video, it can also be 720x480, both are legal DVD resolutions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @The_Doman thanks for the suggestion.
    This is the first thing that I suggested to my friend but he said that he suspect the camcorder is faulty because the last time he used it, it stopped working.
    I will get him a power adapter no problem. The connector size is tiny I think it is the kind that has yellow ring.
    Well yes if it is broken it won't help of course.
    But 7,9v and yellow ring, i not know but probably it is not a Sony model.
    Better make sure and search for the exact model.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Will it be able to extract the files?
    It's free to try.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Isobuster. To do what you need probably will cost, but there will be no limitations then. (Longtime satisfied user)

It could finalize the discs, if you wanted, or better yet could just extract all of the material without needing to finalize.

Scott
    @Scott I took your advise and purchased Isobuster at $60
    There is no price tag for family members videos from happy days.
    I haven't tried finalizing the discs as I didn't want to risk writing anything to them. But I will try that as well when I have extracted the files the usual way. Thanks again.

Edit: How do I finalize a disc? I can't see how in the help section of Isobuster.
    Last edited by Subtitles; 17th Aug 2024 at 05:57.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the link.
    IsoBuster has a lot of help files. In my case it was dead easy to recover the video files on the mini DVD-R without going through the help files.
    In the end I copied all the discs videos to a SSD drive of 240GB (Internal SSD Kingston and Ugreen 2.5" enclosure).
    A flash drive would have been a cheaper solution but they tend to get quite hot during play.
    Quote Quote