VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have just had time to investigate this issue further, and check whether my mp4 videos are lagging on Youtube in case they are being streamed as VP9 or not. As it was mentioned in my starting post, I found samples on Youtube that are not prone to lagging, and those are being streamed as VP9 unlike my videos. I upscaled my video to 4K, and now it is being streamed as VP9 as well. The result is: the playback is smoother, less prone to lagging. Not as good as the sample of others I found online, but there is a significant improvement, even if I watch the video in 4K, not only FullHD. No occasional slowing down of the playback when moving the mouse pointer on the screen. The video playback stops for the fraction of a second sometimes (only the video not the sound), that is the only symptom left, but it is way much better than in case of mp4 streaming. So all in all VP9 streaming gives a smoother result, even on machines like mine, and it prevails in case you watch the video in higher resolution, too. It seems there are some other still unknown things as well that should be improved somehow, but simply by upscaling the video to 4K and thus forcing Youtube to stream VP9 is already an improvement.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what do you use to render into vp9?
    AVIDemux

VirtualDub2
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you are using Win10 or Win11 you can use Task Manager to view the GPU usage.

[Attachment 81023 - Click to enlarge]

You'll be able to see if the GPU(s) is being used to decode.
    Quote Quote  
  4. There is high chance that VP9 is decoded by CPU with minimal GPU involvement and AVC may be decoded in HW by GPU thus some delay introduced in decoding path...
    Only valid comparison can be done if both versions (AVC and VP9) are available from Google offline (locally on disk) - then software decoding and comparing...
    Quote Quote