VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I'm having some issues capturing video which I didn't use to have in the past.
    I'm using VC500 on Windows 11 (however tried also on Windows 7 and getting same issues) - in the past I got great quality conversion from VHS to digital (converted a lot of tapes).
    Now it seems that all of the VHS tapes that I'm trying to convert has a weird similar interference which I can't solve.
    It's not a problem with the VCR, tried plugging it to a TV - looks good and normal.

Uploaded an example of this interferance (link)

Will appreciate your help very much
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need a stabiliser. The cheapest options are certain DVD Recorders by Panasonic: ES-10, ES-15, and if you are in PAL land, others such as the EH-55, EH-57, EX-77. The Sony RDR-HXD series have a weaker stabilising effect and may not correct that jitter. There's a couple of big topics here on using them.

I've put some examples of what they will do to your video here.

In some circumstances, they over-brighten the video slightly, so you may need to adjust the brightness and contrast through the proc amp control of your VC500.

To make sure it isn't another issue, try one of the "past" tapes and see if they jitter. If they do too, then it's probably your VCR (or could be the VC500 on the blink).

Direct-to-TV is generally better because the signal isn't going through the digitisation process in the VC500.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you!
    This is actually the first time encountring this jitter.
    In the past I haven't used a TBC and actually got some pretty decent results.
    Not sure why all of a sudden this happans...
    I've tried some of the "past" tapes and now they jitter, where all of the previous captures went smoothly.
    Also connected the VCR direct to the TV and again - no issues.
    What else can cause this? is ity possible that the VC500 had degraded over time?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Menyman3 View Post
    I've tried some of the "past" tapes and now they jitter, where all of the previous captures went smoothly.
    Also connected the VCR direct to the TV and again - no issues.
    What else can cause this? is ity possible that the VC500 had degraded over time?
    Did you change anything in your setup since he last successful captures?
    Different cabling/connectors? Other Computer setup or settings?

Sure a stabilizing (TBC/DVDR) device will always help but there are so much problems with the recorded example i would think something is defective in your capture chain.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So it's not the tapes. It'll most probably be either the VCR or the VC500. I'd rip the top off the VCR and give the heads a clean; not a difficult job but make sure you don't dislodge anything (and disconnect the power!).

For cleaning your VCR, watch these two videos by "12voltvids" carefully:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVqMG3Cu0II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JmarrPNs3w&t=532s

If a head clean doesn't fix it, get a cheap DVD recorder similar to the ones I mentioned. I'm confident that jitter will be cleared up, even with the VC500 as it is.

In any case, having one of those "stabilisers" is good to have as they do a great job in straightening up wobbly video.

Another option is a different (better) VCR, though a bit of a crap shoot these days.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As the tapes and VCR playing ok on the TV I would not directly suspect the VCR-heads?
    Does the OSD/setup menu (if available) of the VCR display correctly if you not playing a tape?
    Also you could try to test your capture setup with another video source if you have that available?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok, so things that i have tried:
    - 2 different VCRs. same issue when capturing to PC.
    - Playing the tapes on these VCRs directly to the TV - everything works well.
    - Cleaning the VCRs heads, didn't do much (well, everything is ok on the TV)
    - trying to capture my "old captures" tapes, which orignally captured well a few years ago, but now looks bad (as in my attached example).

The setup is the same as before, same VCR + VC500, Windows 11 (tried also 7), Virtualdub same configuration...
    What can it be?
    Quote Quote