VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am based in the UK PAL-land and have always shot in 25i or 50P.

However, I was at a wedding the other day as a guest and saw the video guys doing the job. During a chat I asked them what frame rate they were shooting at; they said they were using 60P and they had 1/100 shutter speed. I questioned them why they were shooting NTSC standard. They said that they never had any problem playing the footage on any tv and 60P makes for better slow motion.

Yes, most modern TVs play 50P and 60P by default but its not guaranteed that all your audience will have a modern LED TV. Further, if you make a DVD, which one do you make, PAL or NTSC? If you make NTSC DVD will it work on a normal PAL DVD player? And if you make a PAL DVD from 60P the footage will stutter due to frame-loss?

Maybe I am stuck in primitive time. Maybe 60P is the way to go, or is it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not all "professionals" come at it from a professional standpoint.
    Other than the bit about slomo, you are correct, in UK it should be defaulting to 50p.
    Also, they are goofy in using 1/100 for 60fps - to do that right they should be doing either 1/100 with 50fps, or 1/120 for 60fps. Both are 180degree shutter angles, the usual optimal choice.

For slomo, the higher they could capture, the possibly more fluid it would look slowed down, and on their cam 60 is probably the highest. However, a 2:1 slowdown looks more natural than a 2.4:1, even with interpolation/blending.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Shutter angles was only relevant in the mechanical film days.
    With today's often digital shutter, irrelevant.

For deliverable, I'd automatically use bluray at the minimum, even giving the couple a $100 player with the package. Longevity of the inorganic dye layer is far greater than the organic dye layer of dvd, and you simply can't deliver the expected quality on a dvd anymore. (1080 vs 480).
    Aside from that, online delivery which most want to share, making frame rates entirely a non issue with both.

60p gives better slow mo than 50p, and if needed can be converted to non-slow mo 24/25fps for dvd without much issue.

https://www.red.com/red-101/shutter-angle-tutorial

Also, with today's 4k and 8k cameras , higher frame rates stop motion better, thus allowing you to pull 8mp and 33mp still frame photos from any point in the video better.
    This greatly reduces the need for a second photographer because the videographer can pull photos most of the time from the video to supplement the primary photographer.

(Or if the couple goes "cheap", they can skip the photographer and pull frames themselves from the delivered video.)
    https://alphauniverse.com/stories/-cinephotography---pulling-stills-from-4k-video/

For a wedding, as long as your camera has the sensitivity in low light (ie. Sony A7iii series), I'd shoot 60p all day long, if not higher.
    This allows you the maximum flexibility in still frames, stopping motion, slow motion, Etc. Kisses, flower toss, unexpected moments - everything gets captured Crystal clear vs slower frame rates.

Film the first kiss in normal speed, less than a second or two.
    Slow mo that, music, clients will pay you more just for that. (Awesome moment! They think as they relive in slow mo.)

Some things happen too fast normally and you'd want to slow it down more - flower toss and reactions.

Can't do that with slow frame rates because you simply get motion blur - unless you've got a digital shutter set to 1/1000 or faster, a very high iso, and a camera that can do it. E.g. 1/1000 iso 10,000 at 24fps.

Remember that your goal is to capture the scene clearly.
    Blur isn't clear. If they client pauses on a kiss and it's not clear, they'll wonder why you screwed up. You can always use blur as a creative effect, but if the client asks for it to be removed, you have to have clear footage to go back to.

Also, when phones nowadays can capture every frame clearly without blur in 8k, you'd better expect to produce better.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I think in this case the video was going to be seen by a lot of friends and relatives. Of these, some will have DVD players, some USB etc but I doubt many have Blue-Ray players. So the target audience player is a mixture.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You need to read the whole text of things you post, @babygdav, as Red is a digital cinematography manufacturer and they are referencing how to use their electronic shutters to achieve different shutter angle effects. SA is relevant both in the old electromechanical world and the new all-electronic, all-digital world.

Also, as someone who has done cam work for weddings, I know it is less professional, and thus rarer, for wed videographers to be pulling stills from their shoots - that's what the (separate) wed Photographers are there for.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've always stuck with 50P being in PAL-land, but I get the appeal of 60P for smoother slow motion. It's true that most modern TVs handle both, but there can be compatibility issues with older models or DVDs.
    Quote Quote