VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am looking to take some .ass subtitles I made, and hardsub/burn them into a movie I ripped. I want the formatting and positioning to be in tact and remain where I set them in the .ass file.

How can I go about doing this?

If this is possible to do without re-encoding the video and degrading it further, that would be nice. Meaning I would prefer to avoid using HandBrake if possible.
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 27th Jun 2024 at 22:32.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hardburnig subs means recoding video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. So I have found out. I was hoping it was as easy as a permanent attach over top of the video without re-encoding, but I guess not.

I came across an avisynth filter called VSFilter TextSubMod and VobSub. Apparently VSFilter can do the .ass subs and I am giving it a try now.

The VobSub only works with .idx and .sub formats though. The Blu-Ray subtitles I have are .sup format.

Is there a good way to convert .sup into .sub so I can use that VobSub avisynth filter and not have to use OCR?
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 28th Jun 2024 at 11:24.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can burn in your ass sub without any conversion with clever FFmpeg-GUI.
    Download the latest beta.
    Load your video, click main, click encode videostream, click keep size.
    Click various, check burn in subtitles, drag & drop your ass sub or select it manually, leave all settings as they are, click ok.
    Click encode.
    Done.
    Quote Quote