VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My daughter had a meaningful celebration which we recorded on video. During the celebration, we had to change the battery on the camera at some point. This unfortunately lead to the first file, which represents a big chunk of the ceremony to become corrupted. Online search lead me here. I also tried a few online tools which didn't work. It would be extremely meaningful if we can retrieve the video from the ASF file - it's 50GB in size, so I'm hoping that all the data is there! Any help on this forum would be super appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Thanks for suggesting this option, I'll try it and report back.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Besides...

1) IF you manage to un-corrupt the ASF file, then, later, (try to) remux it to an olde and goode .AVI file, because the Active Streaming Format is pure evil.

2) please tell us the make and model of the camera you used, so that the members of this forum can avoid it in the future.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hello,
    Thank you for your help. Responding to both replies:
    1. I wasn't able to get ASFbin to work. I'm using Windows 11, I get the attached output when I try to run the .exe. I also tried the version for the cmd line, it goes into the background and doesn't prompt me to do anything. What have I gotten wrong?

2. The camera is a Nikon Z8.

Any further help would be super appreciated, e.g. what version of Windows and what other instructions do you suggest to run ASFbin successfully?

Thanks again.Image
    [Attachment 80159 - Click to enlarge]
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	11
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	80158  

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right click the executable (or shortcut) and select Troubeshoot Compatibilty
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by MK1977 View Post
    1. I wasn't able to get ASFbin to work. I'm using Windows 11, I get the attached output when I try to run the .exe. I also tried the version for the cmd line, it goes into the background and doesn't prompt me to do anything.
    [Attachment 80159 - Click to enlarge]
    Use this version
    https://www.videohelp.com/download/asfbinwin1.8.2.903.zip

If you get the error message above, then download and install vcredist_x64.exe from here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26368

if the error still occurs afterwards, then download and install vcredist_x86.exe too from same location.

Then it should work as aspected.
    Quote Quote