VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I'm trying to capture a miniDV tape via an i.link cable. For that I'm using a Sony DCR-TRV33E camcorder and an old laptop with an i.link port running Windows XP. Sclive seems to be working fine and I can capture video to an avi.

However, Sclive doesn't detect scene changes. After capturing a small segment with multiple scene changes, sclive just made one file instead of splitting the scenes. Also, the "rec. date" field is empty. Why?

Yes, I've set the scene detection mode to datestamp, so the only reason it wouldn't work is if Sclive were unable to get the datestamp from the tape?

I've also tried WinDV and scene splitting works perfectly there.

Does anyone know the reason why it's not working in Sclive?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why. A good question!

In the Scene Detection settings, set the "Min time between scene" to 1 second.

What is this "recording date field"?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll try that, thanks for the tip

Not sure how to describe it, but in the area where all the captures are, underneath the thumbnails, there are a bunch of fields like the file name, the length, and also the date and time of the first frame of the capture. In my case, the latter just contains "-"...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Changing that setting doesn't seem to fix the issue...
    Any other recommendations?

In the attached image I circled the recording date field which is empty even though I had set the date and time back when I shot the footage.

[Attachment 80099 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is weird. It's pointing to a dud tape code. Regardless of whether the date was correct at shooting time, you should still get scene splits when the tape code changes with each new scene/clip.

As a test, capture (transfer) a few scenes with WinDV, then open the folder containing the WinDV files in Scenalyzer and see if you get that date code. Open the folder using the Explore button at top right.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The scenes captured with WinDV don't show a date code within Sclive, even though WinDV correctly gets the date code (as seen in the image)

[Attachment 80106 - Click to enlarge]

Btw what exactly does that checkbox next to the capture button do?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It seems you've spotted a new "bug" in Scenalyzer (no doubt caused by changes to Windows). I was able to reproduce what you're seeing, that Scenalyzer isn't reading the datecode for the filename. It is recording the datecode in the file itself because my NLE can extract it OK.

I was also able to successfully record with WinDV, something which I haven't been able to do for many months, so that will be the go-to app for DV capture (for the time being! ).

Thanks for bringing this up. I have been recommending Scenalyzer but will do some more tests and probably swap to WinDV.

CaptureFlux has also been mentioned by Dellsam as a simple alternative DV capture program.

Btw what exactly does that checkbox next to the capture button do?
    Sets the camera control. Hop on to the WinDV website and wave your mouse over the interface images to get tips on what each bit does. Very cool.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm glad you were able to reproduce the issue, guess I'll have to use WinDV or CaptureFlux, whichever one I end up liking more.

And that interactive screenshot is indeed very cool lmao

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote