VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On Win 11, I'm running this in an Admin CMD prompt. The INF is in the directory shown:

rundll32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSectio n DefaultInstall 0 "C:\utils\huff32\huffyuv.inf"

I get "Installation failed".

That space in "Sectio n" is a forum bug. It is closed-up in my command line text.

I did try Hofmand's MSI, but that failed as well.

I would be grateful for any ideas or suggestions from the floor on how to get this installed.

Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Worked it out. I used the Hofmand's MSIs from here:

https://github.com/hofmand/video-codec-installers/releases

But the MSIs won't install by Dclicking. I opened a command prompt as admin, CDed to the folder the MSIs were in, then ran them at the prompt.

For the avoidance of doubt, it was Hofmand who suggested changing Dirs and then running the MSIs from their directories.

Head hurting now.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 24th Jul 2023 at 07:52.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ive just tried to install HUFFYUV using the same command as you did. I didnt get any error or fail message come up so I thought that it had installed, but when I look in the compression list in vdub, its not there.

[Attachment 72815 - Click to enlarge]

I dont recall seeing anything but lagarith there before, I might be wrong though.

I dont suppose you have any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IIRC, you don't get any messages, just a brief flash of a window.

I think you're using VDub 1? there; in my VDub 1.9.11 (32bit), I have a "HUFFyuv v2.1.1 -CCESP Patch v0.2.2", which must have come from the install I did;

In VDub 2 64bit I have (I only use [used to] 1.9.11 for capture, all my other VDub activities are with 2/64bit [or 32 if I need a filter]):

-"FFMPEG HUFFyuv" (that's an internal version I think)
    and
    -"HUFFyuv 2.1.1" which is the external one I installed (noting of ocurse that it didn't work for me! )

I'd try the basic install procedure listed in the Software forum for HUFF.

And try a restart of your machine.

And do some research on the UT video codec, which appears to get glowing reports from Doom.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes its vdub1. I do actually have HUFFYUV installed on vdub2, I think it came bundled with it, but I dont use 2 for capture as Ive read that its not good for it.

I was going to try using HUFFYUV for capture but I think getting it installed is going to be beyond my very limited IT skills.

Ive tried a couple of different procedures now with no luck, I didnt think to try a restart though, Ill give that a try now. Ill have a read up on the ut codec, I havent heard about that. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've been unable to get HuffyUV x64 working on W11: even though codec tools show it is installed and not broken, (Windows) Media Player (x64 version) displays message "We can't play the video ... It's encoded in HFYU format which isn't supported...". Tried installing in ADMIN CMD window using commands shown at https://www.videohelp.com/software/HuffYUV; tried right-clicking .inf file>Install; also tried the installer: had to install using Explorer++ which runs with admin permissions: even though hofmand's github says "Fixed requiring admin privileges.", .msi message said it required admin privileges (Windows Explorer cannot run with admin permissions). Same problem even though in each case, the codec was found by codec tools and huffyuv.dll file was in c:\Windows\System32.

I can install HuffyUV for 32-bit and I can play using Windows Media Player Legacy (which is x86 app).

So it's just the HuffyUV x64 codec that doesn't seem to install properly...

Also tried on a W10 machine with current updates: same problem.

Anyone find a workaround?
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SamirA View Post
    I can install HuffyUV for 32-bit and I can play using Windows Media Player Legacy (which is x86 app).

So it's just the HuffyUV x64 codec that doesn't seem to install properly...

Also tried on a W10 machine with current updates: same problem.
    First of all, be sure that the "codec unavailable" problem happens with ANY media player, and not only with WMP. If the problem is WMP's only, then just stop using it Otherwise, you can always run regedit.exe and add manually the entries required by the 64-bit HuffYUV dll.
    NOTICE: it's not impossible that Windows 11 itself is essentially not-compatible with that DLL, and in this case, the problem is unsolvable.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for response-
    Yes - I've tried other x64 apps that require the HuffyUV codec (e.g. AVCutty, ACG Player): same problem (no video, only audio).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try this. It's basically Hofmand's process in more detail.

My HUFFYUV.DLLs are:

In System32:
    [Attachment 79967 - Click to enlarge]

In SysWOW64:
    [Attachment 79968 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks - that is a great step-by-step! Unfortunately, still the same result: it "installs" without error message; x64 .dll is added to System32 folder; codec tools say it's installed; x64 bit video apps don't recognize that the codec has been installed...

No such problem with x86 codec & x86 video apps.
    Quote Quote  
  11. @Alwyn: what version Windows are you running? Are you able to use x64 Windows Media Player to play huffy-encoded .avi files?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm on Win 11. I'm going to pass on WMP; it's 12 years old.

I'm a bit confused. AVCutty opened a HUFF AVI with no issue here. Are you saying though that AV Cutty is a 64bit program?

Can you attach a problem file here? You can attach up to 500mb.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks - I appreciate the time you've spent.

>> Are you saying though that AV Cutty is a 64bit program?
    My bad: it's 32bit. ACG Player is 64bit and isn't displaying huffy-encoded video; just audio.

>> I'm on Win 11. I'm going to pass on WMP; it's 12 years old
    I'm also running W11 Pro: I'm referring to the default W11 Media Player (x64) app (the forum software automatically added that link to the 12-year old version of WMP). The default W11 Media Player (x64) app is not displaying the video (that's the error I posted above); just audio. Here's Task Manager details regarding that Media Player:
    [Attachment 79988 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Something fishy going on here. I installed ACG Player (a bit out there, that one! ). It wouldn't display my HUFF video in the main window but when I dragged the play marker along, I could see the video in the small preview window. So it seems ACG is reading the file OK, just not displaying it on the main screen. I'd say it's more a general ACG AVI-reading bug than a 32/64 bit issue.

Re WMP, I found "WMP Legacy" by right-clicking Open With... It plays my HUFF files with no issue.

I also found "Media Player" on the Open With menu, which throws a error message "it's encoded in HFYU format which is not supported"

The only other MS player I have is Films and TV, but that threw an error: "not supported".

None of the above stands out to me as being an issue with the 64bit HUFF not installing.

Edit: You need to find a true 64bit app to test. I've just deleted the System32 HUFF DLL and now, in VDub2 64bit and my NLE (Magix) HUFFYUV no longer appears in the codec list.

You can try VDub2 64bit: I have the setup details on my site. Just run the Virtualdub64.exe, then have a look in the Video>Compression options. If HUFFYUV 211 is in there, it's installed correctly.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 18th Jun 2024 at 20:55.
    Quote Quote  
  15. >> ACG Player (a bit out there, that one!
    Sure is! I don't use these apps - I selected them merely to help diagnose this problem (i.e. x64 players that seem to require codecs)

>> when I dragged the play marker along, I could see the video in the small preview window
    That doesn't work for me: only the static thumbnail remains in preview window as I drag slider

>> Re WMP, I found "WMP Legacy" by right-clicking Open With... It plays my HUFF files with no issue.
    32-bit app using 32-bit codec works

>> I also found "Media Player" on the Open With menu, which throws a error message "it's encoded in HFYU format which is not supported"
    Interesting: I had come across a post saying something like: [MS messed up with an update that affected Media Player's ability to use installed codecs], so looks like I need to dismiss this as a supporting data point re: whether HuffyUV x64 codec installed properly or not

>> If HUFFYUV 211 is in there, it's installed correctly.
    Great! I was looking for an x64 video app that listed recognized codecs.
    Even though HUFFYUV.DLL was added to System32 folder by install and confirmed by e.g. Codec Tweak Tool
    [Attachment 80026 - Click to enlarge]

Confirmed: "HUFFYUV 211" is not listed (Virtualdub64.exe)
    [Attachment 80025 - Click to enlarge]

>> I have the setup details on my site
    Wow --didn't realize that was your site when I commented on the great step-by-step writeup. So now I'm humbled someone of your expertise has been helping me out -- thanks again

So, current data points:
    1) I've found other users who were unable to get HuffyUV x64 codec installed and working on W11
    2) Virtualdub64.exe is not recognizing HuffyUV x64 codec
    3) It's working for you, however, I note the Properties timestamps in your screenshots for the .dll files: I suspect you installed the codecs running older versions of Windows and then upgraded to W10 and then W11? I had no problems with HuffyUV x64 codec and previous versions of Windows.

Unfortunately (being an IT guy), I reverted my W10 system partition to an OS image version that didn't have the Huffy codecs installed; then, I upgraded to W11. ARGH!!! (and I also note that trying to install HuffyUV x64 codec on current version of W10 no longer works; but my notes say it worked on older W10 version in July 2022).

So I'm wondering if MS did something in W10 updates since 2022 and W11 that broke HuffyUV x64 codec install...? Does that sound like a plausible scenario to you?
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm not sure if w11 broke it but if you are capturing I would suggest just using utvideo or ffv1 instead rather than trying to get huffyuv that hasn't been updated in like 20 years to work on modern windows. For playback vlc and virtualdub2 should be able to open huffyuv since they can open stuff via ffmpeg's huffyuv decoder (unless it's the special huffyuv-mt variant)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I would be grateful for any ideas or suggestions from the floor on how to get this installed.
    I would skip it and install UTVideo unless you need Huffyuv for some specific reason.
    Quote Quote  
  18. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    I agree, SamirA really should leave HuffYUV and choose UTvideo or MagicYUV.

Originally Posted by oln View Post
    huffyuv that hasn't been updated in like 20 years to work on modern windows.
    Well, the real problem in this case is the operating system itself, not the codec... Windows has been going "modern" AND broken since 2006, minimum.
    Just as an example, many ancient Photoshop plugins that worked well on Windows 95 /98 /2000 /XP could not be loaded by PaintShop Pro on Windows 7.
    Fortunately this problem was fixed in Windows 8(.1).
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  19. Thanks for the helpful suggestions. My use case: I already have 60+ (2 hours each) .avi (OpenDML) files captured from VHS (720x480) using VirtualDub encoded with HuffyUV (family videos). I'm trying to work with these files to:
    1) Automatically split them using optical scene detection. Was hoping AVCutty would do it but ran into a problem similar to @Alwyn re:
    It wouldn't display my HUFF video in the main window but when I dragged the play marker along, I could see the video in the small preview window
    AVCutty is a 32 bit app, so I believe this is not related to the HuffyUV x64 codec problem.
    2) Do other processing/conversion using the original .avi files and feeling unsettled that I may be limited (now and in future) in the x64 apps I can use to do so.

My sense from reading I've done is that HuffyUV is still best for lossless archive of original VHS although UTVideo is a close second (maybe a little slower), but I'm a real noob here. Wondering if it makes sense to re-encode using UTVideo so that I don't run into these problems re: unsupported codec? I suspect I can use VirtualDub 2 to re-encode without any (significant?) loss of quality -- would appreciate any validation on this point -- as well as any other useful pointers.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SamirA View Post
    I suspect I can use VirtualDub 2 to re-encode without any (significant?) loss of quality -- would appreciate any validation on this point -- as well as any other useful pointers.
    You can and there will be no loss of quality, as long as you don't make a mistake (UTVideo BT.601 YUV4xx - you probably have it in the source file). Audio of course Direct Copy.

You can also do this with ffmpeg, but I don't know if it reads huffyuv.
    Last edited by rgr; 20th Jun 2024 at 04:28.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SamirA
    I don't use these apps - I selected them merely to help diagnose this problem (i.e. x64 players that seem to require codecs)
    Well, it would have been good if you had actually used it extensively first; I went down an unneeded rabbit hole testing a dud app.

The default W11 Media Player (x64) app is not displaying the video
    Another rabbit hole. What exactly is the "default" W11 media player? How are you accessing it to play a video?

It's working for you, however, I note the Properties timestamps in your screenshots for the .dll files: I suspect you installed the codecs running older versions of Windows and then upgraded to W10 and then W11? I had no problems with HuffyUV x64 codec and previous versions of Windows.
    No. Brand new pristine W11. I just ran the 64bit install on another pristine W11 computer; same:

[Attachment 80042 - Click to enlarge]

You lot need to stop beating up on Windows. It is unrealistic to assume software written 20 years ago will/should still work. Just deal with the fact that developers, for whatever reason, haven't updated. There's nothing you can do to wind back the clock so just move on to something that works. There are still plenty of options to do the job with the latest Windows. And would I rather be using Win 11 than XP? Of course.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Well, it would have been good if you had actually used it extensively first; I went down an unneeded rabbit hole testing a dud app.
    Sorry for wasting your time...

The default W11 Media Player (x64) app is not displaying the video
    Another rabbit hole. What exactly is the "default" W11 media player? How are you accessing it to play a video?
    Again, sorry for wasting your time. It's the Media Player you found re:
    I also found "Media Player" on the Open With menu
    I believe that's the default app when you first install W11.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by rgr View Post
    You can and there will be no loss of quality, as long as you don't make a mistake (UTVideo BT.601 YUV4xx - you probably have it in the source file). Audio of course Direct Copy.
    Thanks for the confirmation. I don't understand what you mean by "you probably have it in the source file"...?

From documentation/forum posts, I believe I should use:
    "Fast recompress"; BT.601 for SD; YUV444 for no loss since I don't care about saving disk space

Would appreciate feedback if that's not correct and any other relevant suggestions. Thanks again for everyone's help
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Your source file is probably in YUV4xx (422 or 444) and BT601, so if you convert it the same way it will be 1:1.

It doesn't matter whether you use Fast Recompress or Full.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by rgr View Post
    Your source file is probably in YUV4xx (422 or 444) .....
    If his source is analog video out of his VCR it is YUV but not yet (sub)sampled. It becomes 4xx only after being sampled and encoded by the digitizer + codec (Huffyuv, UTVideo etc.), unless it has been sampled and digitized before in his workflow, e.g. by a DVD recorder in passthrough or is already in digital format. Not sure what his scenario is (analog capturing or digital reencoding of an existing digital source?).
    Last edited by Sharc; 20th Jun 2024 at 18:07.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I captured using JVC SR-V10U with TBC On to Capture card using VirtualDub

Color Space/Compression: YUY2 (YUV 4:2:2 interleaved)
    Frame Rate:29.970
    Output Size: 720x480
    Huffyuv v2.1.1 - CCESP Patch v0.2.2
    Quote Quote  
  27. ok. So you may want to select below UTVideo codec for lossless re-encoding.
    You can use this for your future analog VHS capturing as well, instead of using Huffyuv.

It's lossless as long as you stay in YUV colorspace and avoid any intermediate YUV<->RGB conversions (8bit integer realm)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-21 090353.png
Views:	5
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	80066  

Last edited by Sharc; 21st Jun 2024 at 02:38.
    Quote Quote