VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have always been confused by display aspect ratio, pixel aspect ratio (input and output). I would like to know definitively how to handle this and what settings to use. Specifically...

I capture 8mm tape with an ATI AIW-9600XT. According to MediaInfo, my AVI files (HuffYuv) have a display aspect ratio of 3:2 and a size of 720x480. When I open in Hybrid, in Crop/Resize--Base, the Input Par is set to 1x1.

By comparison, when I capture a MiniDV video via firewire, according to MediaInfo it has a display aspect ratio of 4:3 with a size of 720x480. When I open in Hybrid, in Crop/Resize--Base, the Input Par is 8x9 by default.

Bottom line: what should I set as the Input Par and Output Par for the 8mm captures, and the MiniDV transfers? Thank you!!

[Attachment 78682 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Virtually all SD devices capture following the ITU standard. They capture SD analog NTSC with of frame size of 720x480 where the inner 704x480 comprises the 4:3 picture (the extra little bits to the two sides are there in case the source or cap is slightly off center). The SAR (Sampling Aspect Ratio, often called PAR or pixel aspect ratio) is 10:11.

The general equation is:

Code:
    DAR = SAR * FAR

where:

DAR is the Display Aspect Ratio, the final shape of the displayed picture
    SAR is the sampling aspect ratio, the relative "distance" between samples across the width and height (often called PAR, pixel aspect ratio)
    FAR is the frame aspect ratio, ie frame width : frame height
    So:

Code:
    DAR = SAR * FAR
    DAR = 10:11 * 704:480 
    DAR = 10 /11 * 704/480
    DAR = 0.9090909... * 1.466666....
    DAR = 1.3333... 
    DAR = 4/3
    DAR = 4:3
    By the way, MediaInfo is just reporting the DAR as the frame aspect ratio (3:2, for a 720x480 frame) in the absence of a flagged DAR or SAR.
    Last edited by jagabo; 28th Apr 2024 at 12:14.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for this detailed explanation.

For 8mm video captured via ATI capture card, what should I enter in Hybrid for Input Par and Output Par?

I should also mention that the ATI capture version looks more stretched out. Is that related to the 3:2 versus 4:3 thing?

[Attachment 78687 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by Darryl In Canada; 28th Apr 2024 at 13:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And to add to that, only mpeg2 and DV actually have a DAR flag as part of its capture. Which is why you do see a DAR of 4:3 for your MiniDV capture even though the SAR is still 720*480 (3:2)
    Quote Quote  
  5. The "correct" SAR (PAR) is 10:11. But it may depend on exactly what you are doing. Commercial DVDs, for example, just ignore the difference between the ITU spec and the MPEG2 spec and flag the full frame as 4:3 DAR (implied 8:9 SAR).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Crop to about 704x480 to get rid of the black sides and set the SAR to 10:11.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you. When you say set the SAR to 10:11, do you mean the Input PAR or Output PAR (in Hybrid)?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I don't use Hybrid, so I'm not familiar with its setting, Try both and see what difference does it make.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Your source is SAR 10:11. What the output SAR should be depends on whether you resize during your conversion. If you retain the original frame size (or crop to 704x480) set the SAR to 10:11. If you resize to a 4:3 frame size, say 640x480, then set the SAR to 1:1.
    Quote Quote  
  10. @Darryl In Canada: BTW your ATI screenshot looks interlaced. DON'T resize vertically without prior deinterlacing.
    Set the input SAR (aka PAR in Hybrid) as 10:11. When you resize by defining the frame width and hight, the output SAR (aka PAR in Hybrid) is greyed out because the output SAR (aka PAR in Hybrid) is then determined by the resized frame dimensions. Either you resize by means of the input/output SAR (aka PAR in Hybrid) or by setting the resized frame dimensions. In an equation a=b*c one can only select 2 variables independently, not all 3. The 3rd quantity is calculated (or greyed out in Hybrid). You can play with the settings and see what changes in Hybrid.
    Last edited by Sharc; 28th Apr 2024 at 17:31.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I did five tests with different combinations of input PAR and output PAR. (Click to enlarge table.)

[Attachment 79583 - Click to enlarge]

Things I am still confused about:
    - Which Input and Output PAR I should be using in Hybrid from my SD capture card.
    - Whether I should force the resize of 704x480, 640x480, or something else.

[Attachment 79584 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  12. For square pixel output with your cropping and no vertical resizing because your capture is interlaced:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-03 083308.png
Views:	18
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	79592  

Quote Quote  
  13. If you want to leave it anamorphic:

Name:	anam.png
Views:	14
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	79593  

Quote Quote  
  14. If you deinterlace you can apply resizing, for example to 1440x1080

Name:	resize.png
Views:	23
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	79594  

Quote Quote  
  15. Sharc, thank you for this. A few more questions.

Assuming the source material are all home video capture as 720x480 with an SD capture device (ATI 600)...
    Assuming I deinterlace (QTGMC + BOB), and upscale to 1080p...
    And assuming I intend to show my videos on:
    (1) HD television screen
    (2) computer screen (VLC/MPC)
    (3) YouTube

What output settings do people-who-know-what-they-are-doing use? Which of your options should I use?
    Last edited by Darryl In Canada; 3rd Jun 2024 at 10:02. Reason: Typo
    Quote Quote  
  16. See my last example in post#14. It produces a 1440x1080 4:3 frame. Small black borders will be added according to your cropping to make it overall 1440x1080, undistorted picture in a 4:3 canvas, compliant with your (1), (2), (3) above.
    (Maybe select Auto adjust 'height to mod 4' to be on the very safe side.)
    Quote Quote