VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded the latest (7.0.1) and my usual batch files don't run - "application failed to initialize", I think.
    Is ffmpeg broken for Win 7? I don't see any mention of it anywhere.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know that for nvenc encoding u need to install the latest driver.
    Quote Quote  
  3. provide report - add "-report" to command line - log will be created so error can be analyzed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I assume you are using the gyan.dev builds.

ffmpeg-release-full 7.01 and ffmpeg-release-full-shared 7.01 do not work on Windows 7 due to being linked with a Windows 10 dll.

However, ffmpeg-release-essentials 7.0.1 will run on Windows 7. Note that ffmpeg-release-essentials does not include OpenCL or Vulkan.

Download from here:
    https://www.gyan.dev/ffmpeg/builds/

Read the Windows 7 issue here:
    https://github.com/GyanD/codexffmpeg/issues/136

You don't have to use the Gyan build. Look for another build that is compatible with Windows 7 or compile it yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded it from the link on the software page here.
    I use it occasionally to convert formats.
    I am not well-versed in the various versions, a "casual user" who knows enough to be dangerous.
    Thanks for the info, I'll do some more homework. In the meantime I'll use the 7.0 version.
    Quote Quote  
  6. On my Win 7 ffmpeg build(s) located on site (search for "Automated nonfree builds of FFmpeg for Windows using GitHub Actions " for WIP and for stable ffmpeg search for "Automated stable nonfree builds of FFmpeg for Windows using GitHub Actions") works fine.
    Quote Quote