VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey, I'm new here. I received old family cassettes (Video8) and would like to digitize them. I have a USB video grabber and a Sony camcorder (CCD-TR705E). When I insert the cassette, I can see the video in the viewfinder. The sound can also be heard via the computer. However, I don't see a picture or sometimes stripes that are red, green and blue.
    Is there a way to get the black and white image out of the viewfinder?
    Thank you very much for your help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What software are you using to capture your footage?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Most likely your tape's color standard is not compatible with your camcorder, Where are you located and what format the tape is?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for replying.

@Alwyn: Iīm using OBS Studio. I tried Potplayer, too. But it was the same result.

@dellsam34: Iīm located in Germany (Heidelberg). I donīt know what the format the tape is. How can I find out, which format it is?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Did you got ANY video from the camera on TV or computer when not playing a tape?
    Like a menu/OSD screen or the picture from the camera?
    Have you used that camera before playing your own tapes on TV?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by The_Doman View Post
    Did you got ANY video from the camera on TV or computer when not playing a tape?
    Like a menu/OSD screen or the picture from the camera?
    Have you used that camera before playing your own tapes on TV?
    No, i got no video. Sometimes I got some silhouettes, but with a lot Red green an blue distortions. But no I get no video at all.
    And I havenīt used the camera before. I bought it on ebay to digitize old tapes.

I also have another problem: Now, the viewfinder shows also no video anymore. And if I connect the camcorder to the computer the mic from the camcorder will catch the actual audio and it is played at the computer. I thought, that cleaning the video head could help. What do you think?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by haneu View Post
    I also have another problem: Now, the viewfinder shows also no video anymore. And if I connect the camcorder to the computer the mic from the camcorder will catch the actual audio and it is played at the computer. I thought, that cleaning the video head could help. What do you think?
    Probably you switched it now to camera mode and the lens is covered?
    Also, did you already downloaded/read the manual?

Also be careful playing (valuable) tapes until you are certain the camera is operating correctly.

Before even thinking about cleaning the heads, first try to get something out of the camera displayed on a TV or capture device.
    Possible your capture device is net set up properly for the correct input (S-Video/composite)?
    And what capture device are you using?
    Last edited by The_Doman; 29th May 2024 at 13:44.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by The_Doman View Post
    Probably you switched it now to camera mode and the lens is covered?
    Also, did you already downloaded/read the manual?
    You can switch it to player mode or camera mode. In between these settings there is the off position.
    I read the manual but there werenīt any helpful informations.

Originally Posted by The_Doman View Post
    Before even thinking about cleaning the heads, first try to get something out of the camera displayed on a TV or capture device.
    Possible your capture device is net set up properly for the correct input (S-Video/composite)?
    And what capture device are you using?
    I use this capture device https://amzn.eu/d/2DCf1T3. There isnīt anything you could set up at the device directly. I tried OBS to record the material but I tried mostly every setting.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There isnīt anything you could set up at the device directly.
    Yes there is. In OBS, right-click on the digitiser and then click on Properties. On the tabs on Properties screen, click on Configure Video. You'll have a number of tabs across the window. Check everything is set correctly: Composite/Svideo, NTSC or PAL for the input. Each digitiser is slightly different, so if you get stuck, post some screenshots. Mine looks like this:

[Attachment 79446 - Click to enlarge]

It sounds to me like you may not have NTSC/PAL set correctly. Try one of the PAL settings, we use PAL_B in Australia. Not sure what you Germans use.

Don't spend money on another cheapo stick until we get this one sorted out.
    Quote Quote