VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I’d like to extract the DTS-HD MA tracks from several mkv files ripped from Blu-rays, and I’m looking to preserve to original audio quality.

I’ve extracted the tracks with FFMPEG and MKVToolNix.

For the file created by Handbrake, JRiver Media Center lists the bitrate as 3825, and on playback the bitrate spends a lot of time in the 4500’s and spikes as high as 23,000 kbps on orchestral flourishes.

The files created by FFMPEG and MKVToolNix have constant bitrates of 3767 and 3764, respectively, and play at noticeably lower volume and narrower dynamic range.

Handbrake will also put the DTS-HD MA track in an m4v container, which I couldn’t get to work in FFMPEG or MKVToolNix.

What’s the best way to extract an audio only DTS-HD MA file?

Also, which DTS-HD MA container file type has the widest compatibility?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To my knowledge DTS-MA always has a variable bitrate and I wouldn't worry too much about different bitrate values being listed.
    Since your sourcefiles are mkv I would use mkvextract.exe to retrieve the audio. It's a cli tool that comes with the MKVToolNix package. Frontend I use is gMKVExtractGUI.

A possible reason for differences in playback volume is dialog normalization metadata being present, and/or if this metadata is honoured by the playback device. It can be removed by eg. MKVToolNix. Lower playback volume should not be mistaken for lower dynamic range though.

As for "widest compatible" container format, this depends on what your player(s) - whether standalone or built-in - would prefer. I think three most widely used containers that support DTS-HD MA are m2ts, mp4 and matroska (mkv or mka).
    Last edited by Ennio; 26th May 2024 at 04:04.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can use clever FFmpeg-GUI.
    Extract the exe from the zip archive, click it and follow the instructions.
    Then load your mkv, click main, click extract streams, uncheck the videostream, click extract.
    Done.

[Attachment 79381 - Click to enlarge]

The sample used is a DTS HD MA 7.1.
    Tested
    Quote Quote