VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. No other explanation for it that I know of yet.

I have a video from 2020 with one of those youtube subtitles that would have to be corrected.
    What I wonder is why the whole piece (for all purposes) has overlaping dialong lines with the one preceding.

Is there one of the Subtitle Edit techniques to adjust the whole thing for a place to start any correction task?
    Fix all errors or some such? My previous settings for a completed job have not changed by loading this new
    subtitle and I don't know much about how the settings work in SE.

Could it be an FPS mismatch? The Mediainfo states that google made the file and it is from one of those At Home
    releases in 2020 likely during COVID but I have few of those details.

Mediainfo

General
    Complete name : C:\******** - Elizabeth Rex (2003) ft Diane D'Aquila and Brent Carver - [1080p] subs\Straford Festival - Elizabeth Rex (2003) ft. Diane D'Aquila and Brent Carver - [1080p].AVC.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    File size : 1.81 GiB
    Duration : 2 h 17 min
    Overall bit rate : 1 889 kb/s
    Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
    Movie name : WATCH PARTY: Elizabeth Rex ft. Diane D’Aquila and Brent Carver
    Performer : Stratford Festival
    Recorded date : 2020
    Writing application : Lavf58.39.101
    Comment : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W31x6pN2xB0

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4
    Format settings : CABAC / 3 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, Reference frames : 3 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 1 754 kb/s
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.028
    Stream size : 1.68 GiB (93%)
    Title : ISO Media file produced by Google Inc.
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709
    Codec configuration box : avcC

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC LC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
    Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 128 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel layout : L R
    Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
    Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 126 MiB (7%)
    Title : ISO Media file produced by Google Inc.
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Alternate group : 1

-- the production date is 2003 and made in Canada at the Stratford Playhouse which has many Proshot plays.
    Could something be done with the sub or the video content? Could be the standard 25 FPS for British shows and
    recorded at 30 FPS during the screen grab in 2020. I'll see what some of the other Stratford plays show in Mediainfo but that takes a while.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Feels Good Man 2nHxWW6GkN1l916N3ayz8HQoi's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could begin with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqJ21-GaYew
    --[----->+<]>.++++++++++++.---.--------.
    [*Have questions about widefrog? You can find all your answers here*]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reply. I usually bail at watching youtube how-to s but I watched this all the way through.
    The presenter gave more verbal explanation and so not so hard to follow mouse pointer fiddling.

He explains the problem and for me the important part to tease out is using Aegis Sub which I have
    but have not used. It is out of development, I don't know where their forums are and so would
    be starting with scratch on that. His description seems clear enough.

This is a good start. I had not seen him before.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Feels Good Man 2nHxWW6GkN1l916N3ayz8HQoi's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't succeed in fixing it, I could take a look. I don't claim I'm gonna figure it out for sure but I can try. Though I'm gonna need the video and the subtitle uploaded somewhere on a sharing site.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by 2nHxWW6GkN1l916N3ayz8HQoi View Post
    If you don't succeed in fixing it, I could take a look. I don't claim I'm gonna figure it out for sure but I can try. Though I'm gonna need the video and the subtitle uploaded somewhere on a sharing site.
    Ok, I'll give it whirl first. And I'll add a folder to mediafire for you. The video is a play just over 1Gb.

To save time perhaps, since you know the system, just write in a series of steps I can follow.
    That's what I'd try to get out of any more youtube watching and trying to follow his speech on it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Feels Good Man 2nHxWW6GkN1l916N3ayz8HQoi's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    To save time perhaps, since you know the system, just write in a series of steps I can follow.
    That's what I'd try to get out of any more youtube watching and trying to follow his speech on it.
    Oh no, I don't know the system at all, haha. I syncronized subtitles before using sync points, but I've never seen a scenario like yours. It just seemed new to me, and I was interested in learning something new. I will give detailed steps that can be easily followed if I know what I'm doing though.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by 2nHxWW6GkN1l916N3ayz8HQoi View Post
    I have the folder uploaded to mediafire. As the discussion progresses I can send that as a PM.

The how- to is well presented and has jump points so I went to the Aegis section and started to write down the steps.
    But I still my get hung up just doing the simple things in it that I don't know how to do: like save all. All those you tube things, they talk too fast.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Feels Good Man 2nHxWW6GkN1l916N3ayz8HQoi's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have the folder uploaded to mediafire. As the discussion progresses I can send that as a PM.

The how- to is well presented and has jump points so I went to the Aegis section and started to write down the steps.
    But I still my get hung up just doing the simple things in it that I don't know how to do: like save all. All those you tube things, they talk too fast.
    I recomend just giving it a try. Follow step by step in parallel with the video (you can even slow it down by changing the playback speed if it is too fast). If you do hit an insurmountable dead end, you could just post the link here. Personally, I don't see the point of secrecy, since from what I've seen this video used to be public. That way if you post it here, other users could take a look too and help. But if you really want it private a PM is fine too.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by 2nHxWW6GkN1l916N3ayz8HQoi View Post

I recomend just giving it a try. Follow step by step in parallel with the video (you can even slow it down by changing the playback speed if it is too fast). If you do hit an insurmountable dead end, you could just post the link here. Personally, I don't see the point of secrecy, since from what I've seen this video used to be public. That way if you post it here, other users could take a look too and help. But if you really want it private a PM is fine too.
    I have no preference on posting public. Looking at the vid again, there seems no need to load video at all.
    I could put the SRT in here as an attachment.

The video on this is thorough and uses all the youtube methods of going to a timestamp and see the steps needed. (minute 8:31)
    Quote Quote  
  10. I had success doing this. Less sure about Subtitle Edit assembling lines but that is of little concern since I do things line by line for the corrections.

Sumner's video worked for this job. And the google/youtube voice to text contains less errors and timimg seems very good.

I tried Youtube creator last year or so but I could not get it to work for me though I know the rest of the world knocks out youtubes every day. I wanted to use the voice to text on an existing MKV and so on but there was way more steps to it than needed. Perhaps Sumner covers this.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Feels Good Man 2nHxWW6GkN1l916N3ayz8HQoi's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Congrats. I think this video covers what you need. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbkPstO6hqM
    Quote Quote  
  12. It will take me a while to study what's here and shake off all the failed attempts I had previously. I've seen all these screens before but what happened was: it would show a running process and then give no SRT when you _found_ it under the three dots. I found it strange that this clip doesn't have a lot more hits-- but it's laid out as detailed as the
    one I used before. If he can explain it in three steps I can throw out the 20 screen shots I made following the online prompts and getting nowhere.

Again, thanks for the followup.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    It will take me a while to study what's here and shake off all the failed attempts I had previously. I've seen all these screens before but what happened was: it would show a running process and then give no SRT when you _found_ it under the three dots. I found it strange that this clip doesn't have a lot more hits-- but it's laid out as detailed as the
    one I used before. If he can explain it in three steps I can throw out the 20 screen shots I made following the online prompts and getting nowhere.

Again, thanks for the followup.
    After looking at some of Sumners stuff again, he needs to update things. A help link to a google url was dead when I tried to use it.
    No doubt that was, as the error message said, something discontinued at Google. For those reasons I do not try to use use google auto translate.
    Quote Quote