VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi

Im curious to know what the Compression settings are for in the Capture Pin section in VirtualDub, both the fields are editable for me and i was wondering if this would make any difference to my captures?

thanks in advance.

DMS

[Attachment 78800 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Which version of VirtualDub are you using? What codec are you using? For lossless the blue highlighted fields have no effect.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Which version of VirtualDub are you using? What codec are you using? For lossless the blue highlighted fields have no effect.
    Hi Lollo

Ahh ok, so its VD2 and i capture using Lagarith, so this will not have any affect then. thanks for clarifying.

Cheers

DMS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DMS View Post
    Hi

Im curious to know what the Compression settings are for in the Capture Pin section in VirtualDub, both the fields are editable for me and i was wondering if this would make any difference to my captures?
    [Attachment 78800 - Click to enlarge]
    It depends on the capture card/device you are using if/what effect it does have.
    I can only change the quality settings slider on my Dazzle DVC100 here.
    When i change it lower then 1.000 the picture starts looking pixelated/blocky, so better leave it at max/1.000.
    Last edited by The_Doman; 3rd May 2024 at 05:13.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Hi The Doman

My device is iodata gv-usb2, and it was defaulted at 0.500. i may do a comparison, see if i notice any difference, but it sounds like it may affect only when capturing with a lossy codec.

Cheers

DMS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My device is iodata gv-usb2, and it was defaulted at 0.500. i may do a comparison, see if i notice any difference, but it sounds like it may affect only when capturing with a lossy codec.
    As i wrote, i think it depends on the card what effect it exactly has.
    It changes hardware settings on the card directly, just like the procamp filters.

I discovered this when i had accidentally changed the quality slider to zero and was puzzled why the captures looked so weird blocky pixelated.
    Last edited by The_Doman; 3rd May 2024 at 11:37.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ahh ok, so its VD2 and i capture using Lagarith
    Cpature with VirtualDub 1.9.11 not VirtualDub 2. Even better with AmarecTV, having a IOData GV-USB 2. Lagarith is a lossless codec, so appropriate.

Post a sample of your capture if you wish a feedback!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Ahh ok, so its VD2 and i capture using Lagarith
    Cpature with VirtualDub 1.9.11 not VirtualDub 2. Even better with AmarecTV, having a IOData GV-USB 2. Lagarith is a lossless codec, so appropriate.

Post a sample of your capture if you wish a feedback!
    Yeah, i have used VD1.9 before when i had a dazzle, and it didnt work that well, i may give the USB2 a go with it, i do use Amarectv too, that is normally my go to, as it always seems to work. i was just curious about the Capture pin compression setting and wondering if i was missing out on some setting that may help.

i know what i need to improve my captures, but im struggling to source a half decent svhs vcr, and i dont think i will ever get the chance of getting a reasonably priced TBC! I will keep looking.

Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That whole video menu gives me the irrits.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    To be sure i would set it to max/1.000 quality.

If i set the quality settings below max/1.000 it destroys the image totally.
    That setting is permanent for all capture programs, as with the procamp controls.
    When i change it, it goes into effect when restarting/re-initializing the used capture program.
    When you use a low quality source and/or small preview window you possible won't notice it directly.

Again, results/effect with other cards/drivers can/will be different of course.

Dazzle DVC100 quality set to 1.000
    [Attachment 78806 - Click to enlarge]

Dazzle DVC100 quality set to 0.500
    [Attachment 78807 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by The_Doman; 3rd May 2024 at 14:16.
    Quote Quote