VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone,

I have troubles with DVDstyler (subtitles).
    When I make .sub subtitles created with Subtitle Edit, export them for DVD. I get these weird looking subtitles.
    It Gets those weird lines trough it. You have to klick on the picture, and its noticeable, on TV its more noticeable then the picture.
    [Attachment 78303 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 78194 - Click to enlarge]

It goes between weird and normal on and on. Every other turn they turn normal and then weird again.
    Anyone experienced this? DVD is used on XBOXONE

[Attachment 78195 - Click to enlarge]

Thx in advance
    Last edited by substralleke; 10th Apr 2024 at 15:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I remember there are few DVD-players which have problems with cropped subpictures (meaning the subpictures are stored cropped down to the text area and then the coordinates are used to place them on screen, instead of storing the entire frame). The result tends to look like in your photos, and it's also typical for it to occur not on all subtitles.

To find out, get DVDSubEdit, open the main movie VOBs and post a screenshot.

You could also try playing the DVD in another player. If the subtitles look fine, it's almost certainly the cropping issue that some players struggle with.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes it works normal on other players, but not on the xboxone.

Here is the screenshot.
    [Attachment 78497 - Click to enlarge]

Okay i don't know what to look for. Only see some text in red.
    The movie is 4:3
    Last edited by substralleke; 19th Apr 2024 at 13:55.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The text in red is fine, it's always red.

Now it's certain – it is the old issue of cropped subpictures causing problems with some players.

See where it says "Set Display Area: sx=126 ex=593 sy=469 ey=540" some combinations of even/odd numbers cause this issue.

With normal (full frame) subpictures, all Set Display Area commands would have the same numbers. For example:

[Attachment 68465 - Click to enlarge]

The only solution is not to use cropped subpictures. Commercial DVDs also never use them. You will have to see if there is an option somewhere in Subtitle Edit to prevent cropping the subpictures automatically, or maybe it happens in DVDstyler (I don't know because I don't use either one).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Update,
    I have ripped an original DVD that I have and the original subtitles with MakeMKV. The I loaded the MKV file in DVDstyler and burnt it to a disc.
    Played the disc on my XBOXONE. Subtitles acted normal. So it must be something to do then with subtitle Edit that give me this problem. If it was DVDstyler it would do the same with the original subtitles.
    Can't find the option in subtitle Edit to fix this.
    Thx to put me in the right direction.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Correct conclusion, it's because of how Subtitle Edit stores the rendered subpictures in sub files. I also couldn't find any option in Subtitle Edit to fix this.

You could try using a different subtitle format or generate the subpictures with something other than Subtitle Edit.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I Will investigate in that.
    Can i repair them in another program?
    Subtitlecreator gives me the same result as SE.

Hmm running out of options.

Thx for the replies.
    Last edited by substralleke; 21st Apr 2024 at 13:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by substralleke View Post
    Can i repair them in another program?
    Possibly yes. I have an idea how to fix the subtitles but I would need a sample file that has the issue to do some testing with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    OK, I managed to do it but it's way more tedious than I expected.

Here is the result.

Before I go into detail how I did it, first let me know if this fixes the problem.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. Ok, I think it works, just watched 30 min of the movie with the fixed subtitles and no weird subtitles. Going to watch some more.

A big Thx.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Watched whole movie, subtitles works. Many Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Great!

So the only way I am aware of to uncrop the subpictures while keeping their original positioning is to use the old Subresync, which is part of the VobSub package, and save either in Scenarist SST format or DVDMaestro SON format. Be sure to create a new folder because every subpicture will be output as an individual Bitmap file.

There does not seem to exist anything on the planet that can convert either of these two back to VobSub (SUB + IDX) or SUP or anything else. So I did the only thing you can do now – author a dummy DVD. Luckily, we can use SST format subtitles + Bitmaps in MuxMan.

Then we can demux the subtitles of our dummy DVD using PgcDemux and finally convert SUP to VobSub using BDSup2Sub.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Many thx, i will look into it tomorrow.
    Many of these programs i already have on my PC.
    I post my results when i succeed in the coming days.
    Last edited by substralleke; 23rd Apr 2024 at 16:50.
    Quote Quote  
  14. So do i need to select all the Bmp files in the video section?
    And the SST file in the subtitle section?

Like this
    [Attachment 78607 - Click to enlarge]

And press start?

I'm not very familiar with Muxman and PGCdemux
    Quote Quote  
  15. Got the subtitles extracted with PgcDemux, but same results as before. Converted it with BDSup2vob. A setting that i mis?
    Don't know what i'm doing wrong? ��
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ah yes, forgot to mention it – by default BDSup2Sub will crop the subtitles by itself. To prevent it from doing this, you need to launch BDSup2Sub.jar with /acrop:0 command.

I like to put a BAT file next to BDSup2Sub.jar containing the command.

Code:
    java -jar BDSup2Sub.jar /acrop:0
    Paste this command in a notepad and save as a BAT file (for example "BDSup2Sub NOCROP.bat"), and use it to launch BDSup2Sub. That should fix it. You did the MuxMan part correctly.
    You probably still need to adjust the subpictures color palette. DVDSubEdit will do that.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thx, it works.
    Everything works.
    You can also fix the subtitles with TSMuxer. I export the subtitles in Subtitle Edit to Blu ray Sup with resolution setting (PAL 720x576).
    This .SUP file i load in TSMuxer with the MKV movie and mux it to a .TS container. Then i demux the .TS container (extract) the subtitle with the same TSMuxer program to .SUP and this is a repaired SUP file i convert with BDSup2Sub to idx/sub.

Now i have 2 solutions to solve the problem. Thx for putting me in the right direction with the .SUP (that put me on thinking to TSMuxer).

And now you mention the part of BDSup2Sub. I maybe going to try export my subtitle with Subtitle Edit to Blu ray Sup with the PAL 720x576 resolution and then do the .bat version of yours. Maybe i spare out a lot of steps in between.
    Last edited by substralleke; 25th Apr 2024 at 14:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm not sure if muxing and then demuxing actually does anything at all to the SUP subtitles. It should not. I suspect if you export in BD-SUP format at 720x576 in Subtitle Edit it simply does not do the dreaded cropping and keeps the full frame size.

That means it avoids the problem in the first place, rather than fixing it later.

Maybe all that's needed is to export BD-SUP at 720x576 in Subtitle Edit and then convert to VobSub (sub + idx) using BDSup2Sub with the no cropping command.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I know it sounds strange with TSmuxer but I head problems with AVCHD subtitles a few months ago (not appearing) and simply using TSmuxer solved te problem. So i thought why not trying it with DVD subtitles that i first exported to .Sup with Subtitle Edit (after your post for needing .sup subtitles, because TSmuxer don't accept DVD subtitles). And it worked. Don't know how. It just did. I used your method with the bdsup2sub++1.0.2_Win32 version with no succes. Subtitles extracted from TSmuxer worked on the bdsup2sub++1.0.2_Win32 version. I tried to convert .sup subtitles with this ++1.0.2 version and it dind't worked, only after muxing with TSmuxer.
    But it works also now with the BDSup2Sub.jar version without TSmuxer From .sup to idx/sub. I think the key is using BDSup2Sub.jar and your .bat file to make it work. Not the bdsup2sub++1.0.2_Win32 version. If you use this version use TSmuxer to make it work.

Those are my findings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yep, I also use regular BDSup2Sub, not the ++ versions.

Well, I'm glad we figured it out.

Our conclusion, if anybody ever runs into the same issue, the shortest solution is:
    • in Subtitle Edit export in SUP format at DVD resolution
    • use a regular version of BDSup2Sub, launch with no-cropping command (see post #17) and convert to VobSub
    Quote Quote  
  21. Correct, this how it works for me. If the short one doesn't work, people can try the different longer versions.
    Thx for all the help and putting me in the right direction.

Quote Quote