VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys I have this question because I´m very worried about, I have my EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 11gb (for the moment I cant buy another better) and I so wish to use this card for upscaling video, this proccess can take several hours and I´m very worried about if the video card just blow up or something!

Thank You in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. If y so worried, you can install MSI Afterburner and apply some power limit, like 90% or so
    Quote Quote  
  3. Several hours encoding should be no problem, assuming your card (and system) is properly cooled.
    (haven't seen a card explode or die unless there was a heat or power issue)
    => check your temperatures
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  4. I used an EVGA GTX 1060 to adjust the color of an IP camera live stream that was going 24/7 for a few years. It still runs great.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's not the card you need to worry about, it's the power supply and the wall outlet.

Many years ago I lived in an old apartment building where you could trip the breaker by plugging in an iron or a microwave oven, and I had built what at the time was a pretty fast system that I used for compiling code and video encoding and torrenting.

I blew 2 outlets and a power supply.

I doubt anything will happen to you card, people used those cards to mine bitcoin for years and they are still alive and kicking.
    Quote Quote  
  6. As far as desktop computers are concerned, graphics cards are usually sold with enough cooling for themselves. The problem is your case cooling. If you don't have enough, the inside of the case will be too hot for the graphics card to cool itself. The first, most likely problem will be errors in your video encoding (GPU filtering or 3d rendering). Then, although systems and graphics cards are designed to slow down when overheating, they often just crash instead.

Beware that cheap laptops are often designed only for light loads -- casual web browsing, watching videos, desktop apps. They often overheat when run at 100 percent CPU/GPU.
    Quote Quote