VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. If I want to keep DTS audio, I have to play back the vob's created when I first ripped the movie, right? While this does take up a lot of disk space, I can live with that in order to have the best results.

Also, the vob's created when first ripped have all the dvd information that I would need to watch the movie (including all the audio tracks (i.e. director's commentary, DTS audio, DD audio, etc.) So if I'm in a hurry, I can just rip the DVD in less than 10 minutes and work on the conversion at a later time (after the movie is returned.)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

slobbie
    Quote Quote  
  2. I found one answer on the doom9 site: "All audio streams are on the ripped vob's."

Should I be ripping the entire dvd by choosing "ALL" in the file settings tab, just to play it safe?

Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if you just ripped the main vobs (just the movie, no menu, no extras), all of the audio streams and at least one video stream would be there, at which point, you'd have to select the correct audio stream when decoding to WAV for encoding to VCD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. cough..dvd2avi..need i say more?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    slobbie,

Don't waste your time converting DVD with DTS into SVCD/VCD with multi-channel audio. It's not worth the effort (been there (sort of), not quite done it completely, but close enough to get some sound, but it's nothing compare to the real DTS). If you like DTS so much (like I do), then stick with the original DVD that has DTS audio encoding.

The reason, I convert DVD to SVCD/VCD is for "fun". Again, if you are a real DTS/AC-3 fan like me, then stick with the DVD. It's still a little expensive, but it's well worth it.

NEE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks everyone for replying.

I do have the main vobs ripped from the various dvds I've rented. That's good.

Since I have 40 gigs to play with, I don't mind saving the vobs for the DTS movie. My understanding is that if I ripped the proper .ifo file, I can watch the vobs with cinematograph. Or WinDVD? I watched the first vob with ATI File Player and it was nice (and with DTS), but it is only the first fifth of the movie. I then have to double click the second vob, etc.

slobbie

Quote Quote  
  7. with the ATI file player you can just pick all 5 .vobs and add them to the playlist and then hit play. then it'll play all of them, and even give you NEXT/PREV functions
    Quote Quote  
  8. I just used file-merger, and was able to merge all the vobs (I accidently put them in backward,oops.) Picture looks great but the audio is in DD. I need to figure out how to get the DTS to play, then I'll be happy.

I will try creating a playlist with ATI. It is really pretty easy. Except for the DTS. Gotta go. I'll work on it some more later.

Thanks,
    slobbie
    Quote Quote  
  9. I tried ripping just the DTS audio stream with the main vobs, but then there's no audio during playback. If I rip the DD stream only, that works fine. Why can't I rip just the DTS? The reason I want to do this, is because when I playback the main vobs with ATI or PowerDVD, it always plays the DD. I don't know how to change which audio stream gets chosen.

Should I try another ripper (DVDEncrypter)? If Cinematograph is the answer, I can't seem to get that prog to work properly. When I try Cinematograph, the screen flashes real quickly once, then nothing but black screen and no audio. And I do include the .ifo file with the vobs.

Thanks,
    slobbie

U-571 with DTS is the way to go!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    there aren't many, if any, tools that can rip the DTS audio stream from VOBs. i heard of a tool called "VOBRator" which is supposed to let you rip the DTS stream from VOBs. anyone with anymore info about this?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hitechjunkie on 2001-07-05 15:04:01 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes hitechjunkie, I found some good advice over at doom9. With vobrator, you can rename the first(i.e. default)audio track to the audio track you want (I want the DTS in this case.) I will try it out right now and let you know how it goes.

slobbie
    Quote Quote  
  12. Perhaps the issue is not one of ripping the DTS soundtrack ("ripping" in terms of digital extraction of data), but rather there isn't any software that can decode the DTS signal on the PC?

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  13. Well, I can't get VOBRator to work. It keeps giving me an "Unknown" error and won't let me save the settings.

Then I tried smartripper again, and noticed that they have a way to make an audio track map to a new id (similar to vobrator). I thought for sure it would work, but no. Again, DD will playback only, if anything.

My HDD sees to be heavily fragmented, so I'm cleaning it up and other maintenance. I will try a couple more times, if it doesn't work, I'll have to live with just DD :^)

slobbie

Quote Quote  
  14. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-07-05 15:02:45, hitechjunkie wrote:
    there aren't many, if any, tools that can rip the DTS audio stream from VOBs. i heard of a tool called "VOBRator" which is supposed to let you rip the DTS stream from VOBs. anyone with anymore info about this?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hitechjunkie on 2001-07-05 15:04:01 ]</font>
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah vobrator will rip out the dts stream..but ive never been able to play the dts stream on its own..

and to make a dvd/mindvd you need to mux the mpeg-2 with the dts ..the only program i know of that does this is the mega expensive pro tool dvd maestro.
    Quote Quote