VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am attempting to hook up a DVD player to my DVD recorder through SCART but the picture ends up being in black & white, pixelated and just generally terrible. I have tried this before, with a different DVD player, and got the same results. It does it both on the menu and when playing a disc. I am using the same SCART cable to hook a VHS player up to the same DVD recorder with no issues; this only happens when I try to hook up DVD players to it. What is causing this and how can I fix it? PS: I have also tried to hook them up using RCA cables with same results. The DVD recorder and all the DVD players I've tried hooking up are in PAL format.
    Attaching photo of what the image looks like.

[Attachment 76909 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Copy Protection?
    If the DVD is NTSC....that's also a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Copy Protection?
    If the DVD is NTSC....that's also a problem.
    It does it before even attempting to play a disc though, like on the menues and stuff. Surely that couldn't be due to copy protection?
    The discs I've played are PAL discs (and containing content that isn't copy protected).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The checkerboard pattern on top of black and white video indicates the color subcarrier of a Composite video signal is not being decoded. This is either because of mismatching analog color modulation schemes (PAL vs. NTSC) or because the receiving device is expecting S-Video rather than Composite. So first thing to do is check your recorder's Scart AV-in settings. Needs to be on Composite, not S-Video (also called Y/C).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    The checkerboard pattern on top of black and white video indicates the color subcarrier of a Composite video signal is not being decoded. This is either because of mismatching analog color modulation schemes (PAL vs. NTSC) or because the receiving device is expecting S-Video rather than Composite. So first thing to do is check your recorder's Scart AV-in settings. Needs to be on Composite, not S-Video (also called Y/C).
    Or a cheap SCART cable that is not fully "pinned". It's actually quite hard to find a fully pinned SCART cable....I have one......ONE.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    Or a cheap SCART cable that is not fully "pinned". It's actually quite hard to find a fully pinned SCART cable....I have one......ONE.
    Same - I still have one from 20 years ago!
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Same - I still have one from 20 years ago!
    Thick as a baby's arm.
    Quote Quote