VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know what I want to know seems crazy, but I would really like to know if there is any way to run the effects I made in Vegas
    (contrast, color, brightness, saturation) in VirtualDub to render them in it and not in Vegas?

Particularly, I see better video quality in VirtualDub rendering than in Vegas, but Vegas filtering in my case is better than VirtualDub filters
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you want better rendering quality from Vegas, a much easier way to deal with that is to use the Satish framerserver (Vegas plugin) to serve the video into MeGUI or some other program and let it do rendering. I do this all the time because my old (version 13) version of Vegas has really poor h.264 (MP4) rendering.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    If you want better rendering quality from Vegas, a much easier way to deal with that is to use the Satish framerserver (Vegas plugin) to serve the video into MeGUI or some other program and let it do rendering. I do this all the time because my old (version 13) version of Vegas has really poor h.264 (MP4) rendering.
    Yes, I've always found Vegas' rendering quality to be much lower than VirtualDub's and it seems to me that this impression isn't just me.
    You recommended Satish framerserver (Vegas plugin), with this plugin would I be able to open it with effects in MeGUI to render it? The problem is that I don't know MeGUI, but if it were the only way I would try to study it
    Quote Quote  
  4. In this case install voucoder encoding plugin for Magix Vegas. Then you can export to x264, just like VirtualDub. Not sure if it reaches that old Vegas version, check voucoder website.
    Quote Quote  
  5. By using a frameserver from Vegas you get exactly the video that Vegas has created. This means the video includes all the effects you have applied, all the compositing, all the speed changes, etc. You can "serve" the video into pretty much any program which can read an AVI file (in other words, just about any program). Therefore, you don't need to use MeGUI or Virtualdub. Instead, you can use any program you want to use to render the final result.

You do have to remember to set the video to play back at "Best, Full" and also make sure your project properties are set to the resolution and frame rate you want to render.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    By using a frameserver from Vegas you get exactly the video that Vegas has created. This means the video includes all the effects you have applied, all the compositing, all the speed changes, etc. You can "serve" the video into pretty much any program which can read an AVI file (in other words, just about any program). Therefore, you don't need to use MeGUI or Virtualdub. Instead, you can use any program you want to use to render the final result.

You do have to remember to set the video to play back at "Best, Full" and also make sure your project properties are set to the resolution and frame rate you want to render.
    I understood Jhon, that was exactly what I was looking for!
    Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I created a YouTube tutorial a decade ago about how to render from Vegas to an AVISynth script and then feed that back into a second instance of Vegas. You don't need to do all of that, but if you just watch the first minute of this tutorial it shows exactly how the frameserver works for what you want to do. I show it rendering to a file called "fs.avi". You can stop the tutorial after that first minute and then simply open that AVI file in whatever program you want to use for the render.

In addition to making sure you have first set the preview resolution to "Best Full" and the project properties to the resolution and framerate you want, you also need to make sure the color space is correct. I recommend you render five seconds of footage, import the result back into Vegas, and then go back and forth between the original and the rendered version to make sure you don't have any color shift or levels changes. If you do, you'll have to look at RGB vs. YUV, and also which levels setup is used by Vegas and the rendering program.

Render Through AVISynth Scripts Using Sony Vegas As Both Source, and Renderer
    Quote Quote