VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using ffmpeg 6.0 to convert the very few unencrypted (local stations ONLY) Windows Media Center WTV TV Shows I have recorded from Cox. Darn Cox now encrypts EVERYTHING that's not a local channel, including all non-premium channels. Very aggravating.

I can convert the WTV files to MP4 or MKV using ffmpeg to copy all input streams including the EIA-608 closed captions subtitle stream to the output file. MPC-BE x64 will play the MP4 or MKV files but it won't recognize that it contains subtitles. However, VLC plays the videos and lets me display the subtitles just fine.

As I saw recommended somewhere on the Net, I have been using the Enhanced Video Rendering (custom presenter). I've tried using MPC-BE's internal subtitle renderer, and I've also tried both VSFilter/xy-vsfilter and xySubFilter. Nothing.

What subtitle renderer can I use with MPC-BE x64 that will show the subtitles like VLC does?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Closed captions, unlike regular subtitles, are stored in the video's GOP user data. The ability to decode US closed captioning was only implemented in MPC-BE for DVDs. MPC-BE doesn't display closed captions for ordinary video files and as far as I know, there isn't any way to change that. You could convert closed captions to SRT subtitles using CCExtractor GUI, although you may need to edit the resulting file to add special characters such as musical notes.

If that doesn't appeal to you then you could try other player software that can use US closed captions in video files directly. In addition to VLC, I have used PotPlayer, Windows 11's Movies And TV app, and IIRC Cyberlink PowerDVD to display US closed captions.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks. I was afraid of that. Since it's done for DVD's that means the code to decode CC's exists in the code base. It shouldn't be hard to make that available for video files like MP4 and MKV. I have PotPlayer in addition to VLC but I prefer MPC-BE. I have the options and key mappings set up as I like them and it's easy to transfer those to other systems.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could put in a request to the MPC-BE developer/team to add US closed caption decoding for video files. I don't think you would be the first to ask for US closed caption decoding on ordinary video files but I don't know if the demand is sufficient to inspire action.

I forgot to mention that NextPVR, which I use for my HTPC, has the ability to decode US closed captions on my recorded TV files and live TV. NextPVR was my choice to replace Windows Media Center. [Edit] The only recording feature that WMC had that NextPVR lacks is the ability to record channels that are marked "copy once". (The recording app is required to apply encryption to files recorded from channels marked "copy once", which NextPVR can't do.)
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Oct 2023 at 09:28.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the idea. I opened a ticket with the developers on Sourceforge.

Yeah that's an issue for me. I rent a Cox Cable Card that I use with al Silicon Dust Prime network tuners. It's how I record and watch TV. Unfortunately, darn Cox encrypts every single channel except for the handful of local channels they're apparently not allowed to encrypt with the "copy once" flag. So I can't use other PVR's. The other thing I like about WMC is it's ability to speed up shows and not raise the pitch of the audio. So I can zip through news and a few other programs faster. I think it's something like 30% faster but don't know the actual percentage. It's very handy.
    Quote Quote