VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. HI i have got a question i need to ask everyone here if anyone knows how to remove theses 2 viruses from smart tv

a friend of mine got a nasty virus sent to him throgh facebook site
    from a person and my friend got a silver badge sent to him to his facebook account that says top fan. anyway i said to my friend that it is a virus cos a few people on facebook have got a silver badges next to there name and it says top fan which is a virus i know that for sure anyway.

when i went to plug into my friends tv a usb stick a blank one or a usb stick with stuff on
    which is a smart tv when i go to put a usb stick in the
    back on my tv if you have a clean usb stick with nothing on it or if you have a usb stick
    with stuff on it.

what happens is the smart tv puts some files onto the usb stick.
    3 folders it puts onto a usb stick the first folder says the make of the tv which is a phillips
    so the 1st folder says phillips smart tv then in that folder
    there is a 2nd folder called data then 1 file in that called data base file

then a 3rd folder called db.info then in that
    folder a file called info file then a 4th folder called data.DB-journal
    then a file in that folder called DB-journal-file

and everytime
    i go to put a usb stick in this tv theses folders and files come up on the tv
    and puts them onto a usb stick even if you format the usb stick on a pc the files
    are still in the tv when you put the same usb stick or a new one in the back on the 2 smart tvs it brings up thoses files so does anyone know what this virus is and what it does and
    how to remove it from the 2 smart tvs the LG SMART TV AND THE PHILLIPS SMART TV.

the only thing i can think of is to smash the 2 tvs up cos the virus is in the tvs. i do also think it also goes into moniters and laptop screens aswell

cos there is some little black dots that appear from time to time on the 2 tvs screens also some channels go missing from time to time

so does anyone know how to remove this virus from theses 2 smart tvs
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by barry25 View Post
    HI i have got a question i need to ask everyone here if anyone knows how to remove theses 2 viruses from smart tv

a friend of mine got a nasty virus sent to him throgh facebook site
    from a person and my friend got a silver badge sent to him to his facebook account that says top fan. anyway i said to my friend that it is a virus cos a few people on facebook have got a silver badges next to there name and it says top fan which is a virus i know that for sure anyway.

when i went to plug into my friends tv a usb stick a blank one or a usb stick with stuff on
    which is a smart tv when i go to put a usb stick in the
    back on my tv if you have a clean usb stick with nothing on it or if you have a usb stick
    with stuff on it.

what happens is the smart tv puts some files onto the usb stick.
    3 folders it puts onto a usb stick the first folder says the make of the tv which is a phillips
    so the 1st folder says phillips smart tv then in that folder
    there is a 2nd folder called data then 1 file in that called data base file

then a 3rd folder called db.info then in that
    folder a file called info file then a 4th folder called data.DB-journal
    then a file in that folder called DB-journal-file

and everytime
    i go to put a usb stick in this tv theses folders and files come up on the tv
    and puts them onto a usb stick even if you format the usb stick on a pc the files
    are still in the tv when you put the same usb stick or a new one in the back on the 2 smart tvs it brings up thoses files so does anyone know what this virus is and what it does and
    how to remove it from the 2 smart tvs the LG SMART TV AND THE PHILLIPS SMART TV.

the only thing i can think of is to smash the 2 tvs up cos the virus is in the tvs. i do also think it also goes into moniters and laptop screens aswell

cos there is some little black dots that appear from time to time on the 2 tvs screens also some channels go missing from time to time

so does anyone know how to remove this virus from theses 2 smart tvs
    First, don't worry about the monitors. Monitors are not smart devices. Monitors don't have an OS and don't run apps. Their audio and video connections can't transmit viruses. The audio and video connections on TVs can't transmit viruses either. Connected PCs can't get a virus from a TV just by using it as a display.

Second, do some research to find out if the TVs normally write anything to USB sticks attached to them and what those files and folders contain.

Third, read this article: https://www.lifewire.com/can-a-smart-tv-get-a-virus-4777470#:~:text=In%20other%20words...20can%20access.

If after reading the article you really think your friend's TVs are infected with a virus, tell your friend to make notes listing all the apps he installed on each TV, and their settings. Your friend should also make notes about the TV settings he changed on each TV because they will need to be reapplied. After that, do a factory reset on the TVs as described in the article.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Sep 2023 at 09:39.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The only reason tvs write anything to usb drives is for remembering the position of video files where they last played.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is the dumbest thread I've read on VH in many years now.

Literally, I feel dumber for having read it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm guessing these TV's have the ability to record to USB, these folders would be normal when the TV initializes the USB stick ready for recording.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by darkknight145 View Post
    I'm guessing these TV's have the ability to record to USB, these folders would be normal when the TV initializes the USB stick ready for recording.
    That feature isn't available for TVs sold in N. America. If barry25 lives here, that is not what is happening in his case.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote