VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

I have completed a project that was in lower field first and now I want to burn that to a DVD. However, I read that DVDs are top field first.

Will burning a DVD with lower field first field order cause problems with DVD players and CRT TVs?

I am from the PAL B/G region.

Thank you in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Allow me to start the convo.

I do think so.

A mpeg2 direct capture should be upper(top) field first whereas an .avi would not have have such a setting. The exception would be be a dv.avi that does have a setting and that would be lower(bottom) field first. I have created dvds from dv captures and have failed to notice any issues that result from an incorrect field setting.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just checked one of my DV-AVI>DVD productions. The VOBs are BFF, no issue with playing it.

I do think so.
    I don't think so?

FWY 83, analogue AVI captures are (almost) all TFF.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 23rd Jul 2023 at 09:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by tina View Post
    However, I read that DVDs are top field first.
    No. Field dominance may be any on DVD as long as it's the correct one for the footage.

Will burning a DVD with lower field first field order cause problems with DVD players and CRT TVs?
    No.
    Quote Quote  
  5. But Adobe Encore defaults to lower field first when you open it and choose PAL, so it shouldn't cause problems? Right?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    However, I read that DVDs are top field first.
    No. Field dominance may be any on DVD as long as it's the correct one for the footage.

No.
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by tina View Post
    I read that DVDs are top field first.
    No. DVDs can be either top or bottom field first.

No. As long as the field order of the frames and the flagged field order are the same the player/TV will have no problems.

Analog interlaced video is neither top field first (TFF) nor bottom field first (BFF). It's simply a sequence of alternating top and bottom fields. It's only when that signal is digitized and the fields are woven into frames that the concept of TFF and BFF comes into play. The digitizer can start with a top field, then weave in the next field (a bottom field) to make a TFF frame. Or it can start with a bottom field, then weave in the next field (a top field) to make a BFF frame. The player/tv needs to know which is the case so it can output the fields in the same order they were captured.
    Last edited by jagabo; 23rd Jul 2023 at 10:39.
    Quote Quote