VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At night, I like to play a playlist of videos to help me sleep. But the volume will start out just fine, but the next video will be way louder, and the next will be way softer. How would I go about having all of the video files in the playlist to play at the same equal db ? There is a site I found, videolouder.com, that will allow you to either raise or lower the volume in .5 db amounts. It's really annoying, though, to adjust the files by a little bit and then, by ear, try to get them to an equal volume.

What I would like to do is find a program, free or online, that will analyze the videos and tell me the db of each file. I'll pick a file and set all the other files in the list to play at that db level.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded. I'm into computers, but the last time I knew almost everything about computers was the Apple II. Is there a program that will do what I want ?
    Think about this. Once bread becomes toast, you can't make it back into bread.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Probably ffmpeg can provide information you are searching for. In theory ffmpeg can can even perform automatic loudness adjustment thus equalize audio levels.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Why not just use a video player that has a normalise function on playback. ie. Potplayer
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by darkknight145 View Post
    Why not just use a video player that has a normalise function on playback. ie. Potplayer
    because I play through my PS3 at night, and it doesn't have something like that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Probably ffmpeg can provide information you are searching for. In theory ffmpeg can can even perform automatic loudness adjustment thus equalize audio levels.
    couldn't figure it out. FFMPEG seems to be command line...which i just don't understand. Plus I couldn't figure out how to install the thing. I found a program, MP4Gain, but that will literally take the better part of a day to work. Also, I found another program BS FAG, which works fast...but doesn't seem to do anything.

Oh, well.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
    Probably ffmpeg can provide information you are searching for. In theory ffmpeg can can even perform automatic loudness adjustment thus equalize audio levels.
    couldn't figure it out. FFMPEG seems to be command line...which i just don't understand. Plus I couldn't figure out how to install the thing. I found a program, MP4Gain, but that will literally take the better part of a day to work. Also, I found another program BS FAG, which works fast...but doesn't seem to do anything.

Oh, well.

Yes, ffmpeg is command line tool but it can be easily used trough provided script almost in same way as regular application.
    If you are interested in such script i can provide working solution.
    Seem you are pursuing way to align audio signal level for video files thus i assume you are interested to keep video unmodified and process only audio part.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. To explain better, at night, I can't sleep without some kind of noise...tv or radio..you get the idea. One of my favourite shows is Mystery Science Theater 3000. I used to play a bunch of MST3K videos on youtube all night, but youtube likes to take videos off. So, I went and downloaded all my favourite episodes.

But I noticed that the first video will play at a nice volume. But the next video will be distractingly softer...which often wakes me up. The next video might be slightly louder than that, and the NEXT video will be softer.

What I'm trying to do is flatten out the audio so that all the videos play at the same volume. Like I've said, I found a site called videolouder.com. This lets you raise or lower the db of a video file. But it's incredibly annoying to have to do this, thinking you have it all sorted out, only to find that you have to adjust the volume again.

I tried MP4Gain, but that just seemed to lower the volume of all the videos. Maybe I just didn't know how to work the program. I don't know.

What would be perfect for me is to have a program that will show me the db of a file. Then I can raise or lower the db of the rest of the files to match that of the example file. I've tried BS FAG, but that did pretty much the same thing as MP4Gain.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Question: Did your player support (or not) MKV container?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Question: Did your player support (or not) MKV container?
    I'm not quite sure what that means, but the PS3 only plays mp4 video files.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
    Question: Did your player support (or not) MKV container?
    I'm not quite sure what that means, but the PS3 only plays mp4 video files.
    Sorry, my fault, indeed, PS3 was mentioned by you... OK - i will check my scripts, something should be ready to use almost instantly.

---
    Bellow script should work, you can drag & drop file, new file will be created and located in newly created directory named 'out', all you need to do is download ffmpeg and locate it in folder C:\FFmpeg

Code:
    @setlocal

@set FF=C:\FFmpeg
    @set PATH=%FF%;%PATH%

@set OUTDIR="out"
    @if not exist %cd%\%OUTDIR% (mkdir %cd%\%OUTDIR%)

@set filename=%1

@set aproc="pan=stereo|FL < FL+1.414FC+0.5BL+0.5SL+0.25LFE+0.125BR|FR < FR+1.414FC+0.5BR+0.5SR+0.25LFE+0.125BL,aresample=resampler=soxr:osr=48000:cutoff=0.990:dither_method=none,firequalizer=gain='if(gte(f,16),0,-INF)+if(lte(f,20000),0,-INF)',dynaudnorm=p=1/sqrt(2):m=100:s=20:g=49,firequalizer=gain='if(gte(f,16),0,-INF)+if(lte(f,20000),0,-INF)'"

@ffmpeg.exe -y -hide_banner -v 32 -stats -i "%filename%" -c:v copy -c:a aac -b:a 192k -af %aproc% -f mp4 "%OUTDIR%\%~n1_adn.mp4"

@endlocal
    @timeout 30
    Last edited by pandy; 26th May 2019 at 17:37.
    Quote Quote