VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been playing with my new Qnap Nas device, and I'm a little confused about how transfer speed works. Hoping you guys can school me. Here is my set-up.

I have FIOS and the ONT TERMINAL is in the garage. There is a 4 way splitter that goes into different directions in my home. So I have a coaxial line dedicated to my garage. This coaxial goes into a MOCA adapter in my garage, and I have a hub connected to this moca adapter via ethernet. My computer and my new qnap is connected by ethernet to this hub. And when I transfer files, especially large movie files from this garage computer to the Qnap, I can get speeds above 100 MB/s. Now when I'm upstairs on my Notebook and I try to transfer files to the mapped folder on the Qnap, I get about 6 to 10 MB/s. So I'm thinking, the reason for the disparity is because the garage computer is on ethernet. Nothing too confusing so far. I get it.

But here's where I'm confused. One of the splitter line goes to a spare bedroom upstairs and it connects to the Fios router. That is where we keep the router. This router also has 4 available ethernet ports. I took my notebook to this room and connected it directly to the ethernet port, but my transfer speed is no better than the wifi speed. I was getting anywhere from 6 to 10 MB/s. So now I'm confused. LOL!

Why am I not getting 100 MB/s like the pc in the garage? Is it because the PC and the Nas are on the same hub? If I took the Nas and connect it directly to this fios router, would I then get 100 MB/s?

Please advise, thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 6 to 10 MB/s sounds like 100 Mb/s Ethernet, not 1000 Mb/s.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    6 to 10 MB/s sounds like 100 Mb/s Ethernet, not 1000 Mb/s.
    So you think it's the limitation of the fios router? Here is the router we have.. https://www.arris.com/globalassets/resources/data-sheets/nvg468mq.pdf

WAN Single 10/100/1000 Ethernet (RJ-45)
    AP-TLS, EAP-TTLS, EAP-SIM and (optional)
    802.1x

LAN Concurrent Wi-Fi support for 802.11b/g/n
    and 802.11ac
    Four-port 10/100/1000 Ethernet switch,
    RJ-45
    USB 3.0 network interface
    Single-port, dual line voice FXS, RJ-14
    MoCA 2.0 Profile B
    Last edited by siratfus; 17th Jan 2019 at 21:37.
    Quote Quote  
  4. That router is Gigabit (1000 Mb/s). What about the Ethernet port on the laptop?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That router is Gigabit (1000 Mb/s). What about the Ethernet port on the laptop?
    Geez, I never think about these things. LOL! So a 1000 port isn't standard? This is the tablet/pc I have. Where would I find that info? https://www.amazon.com/VAIO-Canvas-12-3-Laptop-Windows/dp/B015QDEPRO/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?...8-1-fkmr2&th=1
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I went to device manager. I think I have a realtek PCIe GBE family controller. So both the router and the port on computer is gigabite, right?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sony's web site says it has Gbit Ethernet. How long is the cable between the routers/hubs? Is it CAT5+ or better? Also is it a hub or switch? A hub may reduce the speed of all ports to that of the slowest device connected.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sony's web site says it has Gbit Ethernet. How long is the cable between the routers/hubs? Is it CAT5+ or better? Also is it a hub or switch? A hub may reduce the speed of all ports to that of the slowest device connected.
    Cable is not long, I took the tablet to the router. I used a cable provided inside the qnap packaging. Hub or switch? Do you mean on my tablet or the router? This is the router: https://www.arris.com/globalassets/resources/data-sheets/nvg468mq.pdf

And the port on my tablet is not from a hub, it's built in the tablet.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I even went to my fios admin and checked out the ethernet settings. It's all set to auto. So I set it all to 1gb full duplex. There is also a 1gb half duplex option. I have no clue what half or full duplex is, but half doesn't work. So I set it all to 1gb full duplex. Even restarted my PC to make sure it takes these new settings. Still I'm only getting 10 MB/s.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Open control panel/network and sharing click on ethernet,
    it will show the connected speed
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	nw.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	47842  

Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Open control panel/network and sharing click on ethernet,
    it will show the connected speed
    It says 1 GB.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why is my network lying to me? LOL!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well at least that shows the laptop connected to that router has negotiated gigabit speed,
    sounds like the problem is upstream from the router
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    are there any other things connected to the router? some switches/routers automatically default down to 100mbs if any device connected to it is only capable of 100mbs. does the switch/router have lights to indicate whether it's operating at 100 or 1000mbs?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    are there any other things connected to the router? some switches/routers automatically default down to 100mbs if any device connected to it is only capable of 100mbs. does the switch/router have lights to indicate whether it's operating at 100 or 1000mbs?
    There is nothing else connected to the fios router.

I just re-created the same environment upstairs as the environment in the garage. One of the coaxial line goes to my bedroom and it's plugged into my tivo. I took it off and plugged it into a spare actiontec moca adapter I have, the same one that was used in the garage. I also have a spare of the exact ethernet hub used in the garage, so I hooked that up to the moca adapter. So now it's the same equipment as in the garage. My tablet is still giving me only 10 MB/s.

So maybe it's my tablet/pc that's the issue. But I don't get it. When I go to control panel, network sharing and check on the properties of the ethernet, it says 1 GB. The fact that the NAS and the Computer in the garage are both on the same hub shouldn't matter, right?
    Last edited by siratfus; 18th Jan 2019 at 14:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'd suspect the cable or adapter from hub/switch in the garage to where ever the central hub/switch/router is. or possibly a bad splitter in the coax cable.

and are all the computers hard wired or wireless?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  17. Eliminate disk bottlenecks as a possible limitation. Use software that performs memory to memory transfers across the network. I use an old program called NetStress. You run the server on one computer, the client on another.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I got some revelations for you guys... I took my tablet to my garage where all the great speeds are at and connected it to the ethernet hub. Immediately I see over 100 MB/s, so we can eliminate the tablet's ethernet port as the issue.

All the set-up and wires are cumbersome, I didn't want to do it, but I decided what the heck. I unplugged my Qnap and took it upstairs, and I found out that being on the same hub absolutely matters. When I connect my tablet upstairs along with the Qnap on the same hub, I get over 100 MB/s.

Should it behave like this? Knowing this now, do you guys know what's going on?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i only use cat 6 or 7 cabling and have about 100 yards of it in and around the house. my 3 nas boxes are out in a detached garage with 1 gig performance. no coax networking here. one minor bottleneck in the cable will reduce speed.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i only use cat 6 or 7 cabling and have about 100 yards of it in and around the house. my 3 nas boxes are out in a detached garage with 1 gig performance. no coax networking here. one minor bottleneck in the cable will reduce speed.
    But what about the uniformity of my issue? The reduction in speed when the NAS isn't on the same hub isn't a little, it goes all the way back to 10 MB/s. It eliminates the 1000 and makes it seem like my adapter is merely 10/100.

But as long as I keep the NAS and Computer that's doing the transferring on the same hub, whether it's upstairs or garage, I will get 100 MB/s. This all or nothing changing from 1000 to 100. Could that really be cables?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
    This all or nothing changing from 1000 to 100. Could that really be cables?
    Yes. Using an old CAT3 cable for example would be devastating. TX cabling has the rating printed on the sheathing. What does it say?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
    This all or nothing changing from 1000 to 100. Could that really be cables?
    Yes. Using an old CAT3 cable for example would be devastating. TX cabling has the rating printed on the sheathing. What does it say?
    RG6U from wall to splitter, RG6 to moca adapter. The ethernet cables I'm playing with are C5E and CAT.5.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://windowsreport.com/fix-slow-lan-speed-pc/

I basically went down the line and followed these troubleshoots. None has worked.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Start with your core known good and work your way out, adding only 1 thing at a time and testing each addition.

Only way to know for sure.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try replacing the cat 5 cables with cat 7. cat5 is only rated to 100mhz/100mbs. even the cat5e is suspect to actually hit 1000mbs.

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-cat-5-cat-6-and-cat-7-Ethernet-cables
    --
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try replacing the cat 5 cables with cat 7. cat5 is only rated to 100mhz/100mbs. even the cat5e is suspect to actually hit 1000mbs.

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-cat-5-cat-6-and-cat-7-Ethernet-cables
    This one was the easiest to test. So I did replace the cables with cat 7 and it didn't do anything. I'm gonna have to get serious and disconnect everything.
    Quote Quote