VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Let's settle this once for all, cast your votes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Soy Sauce!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kodec View Post
    I think I've made this clear many times, and have not wavered whatsoever in the past 20 years.

NORM/AUTO (the settings name changes based on Calibration being ON/OFF), is a mild DNR applied by JVC decks. It significantly reduces chroma noise, which is the misty red/blue muck you see in medium and darks of the image. That alone makes it worthwhile. However it also suppresses true errant grain noise, which many confuse with "detail".

EDIT fully disables the DNR.

But the main disagreement between DNR vs. NO DNR fans stems from the fact that the DNR differs from model to model of JVC, and from unit to unit. The unit-to-unit difference is cause by the wear and age of the deck, especially the heads.

The tape content, and how it was recorded, can be a factor.

So ... it depends.
    NORM should be used more than not, with EDIT being used only when there is drastic issues.
    The same is true of the TBC, use as much as possible.

To me, to not use the DNR is to not fully take advantage of the quality VCR. So why even bother with a high-end VCR if you're just going to turn off all the goodies?

And I'm not entirely sure this post should be at VH, seeing as sanlyn is at digitalFAQ and not here.

Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Soy Sauce!!!
    No, Duck Sauce.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 29th Nov 2018 at 06:44.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I think I've made this clear many times, and have not wavered whatsoever in the past 20 years.

NORM/AUTO (the settings name changes based on Calibration being ON/OFF), is a mild DNR applied by JVC decks. It significantly reduces chroma noise, which is the misty red/blue muck you see in medium and darks of the image. That alone makes it worthwhile. However it also suppresses true errant grain noise, which many confuse with "detail".

EDIT fully disables the DNR.

But the main disagreement between DNR vs. NO DNR fans stems from the fact that the DNR differs from model to model of JVC, and from unit to unit. The unit-to-unit difference is cause by the wear and age of the deck, especially the heads.

The tape content, and how it was recorded, can be a factor.

So ... it depends.
    NORM should be used more than not, with EDIT being used only when there is drastic issues.
    The same is true of the TBC, use as much as possible.

To me, to not use the DNR is to not fully take advantage of the quality VCR. So why even bother with a high-end VCR if you're just going to turn off all the goodies?

And I'm not entirely sure this post should be at VH, seeing as sanlyn is at digitalFAQ and not here.

Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Soy Sauce!!!
    No, Duck Sauce.
    I've a Panasonic deck with the option to separate the TBC from the DNR, which JVC decks usually don't provide AFAIK. What do you reckon of that option to separate it? I'll later tell my experience on everything just interested in what you guys think cause I respect your opinion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Which Panasonic model do you have?

Panasonics still apply some DNR while TBC is enabled, as did the JVC (TBC+DNR). So, technically, the JVC was separate DNR as well.

The issue with Panasonic is that it oversharpens by default, which has further muddied the idea of detail and sharpness. Lots of people have gotten their understandings of what should and should not be present in a VHS video signal by comparing performance between VCRs. And the perceived best VCR is considered how VHS should look. But it's not the case. All VCRs have some positives and negatives, and it again varies based on the content and how the tape was made. So you can never say A is better than B, because it will never be a true statement at all times. There are no absolutes in analog video, only majorities and minorities.

VHS was chaos on a tape. Different VCRs sort that chaos differently. Same for every device in a workflow chain. The goal is to get the best equipment possible so that everything else is a nitpick. When we're quibbling over things like detail, we're usually in a good place. The worst was overcome, be it tracking or timing.

Remember: I own/use both Panasonic and JVC, and change settings as needed. But, in general, JVC while on NORM/AUTO gives the cleanest and best image.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which Panasonic model do you have?

Panasonics still apply some DNR while TBC is enabled, as did the JVC (TBC+DNR). So, technically, the JVC was separate DNR as well.

The issue with Panasonic is that it oversharpens by default, which has further muddied the idea of detail and sharpness. Lots of people have gotten their understandings of what should and should not be present in a VHS video signal by comparing performance between VCRs. And the perceived best VCR is considered how VHS should look. But it's not the case. All VCRs have some positives and negatives, and it again varies based on the content and how the tape was made. So you can never say A is better than B, because it will never be a true statement at all times. There are no absolutes in analog video, only majorities and minorities.

VHS was chaos on a tape. Different VCRs sort that chaos differently. Same for every device in a workflow chain. The goal is to get the best equipment possible so that everything else is a nitpick. When we're quibbling over things like detail, we're usually in a good place. The worst was overcome, be it tracking or timing.

Remember: I own/use both Panasonic and JVC, and change settings as needed. But, in general, JVC while on NORM/AUTO gives the cleanest and best image.
    NS 860, it has independent switches for TBC and DNR. I agree with you, for my eyes JVC (JVC 8700, same functions as 9700 only no Dynamic Drum) gives a bit cleaner pic. But Panasonic is more robust, the build and the mechanism for tape input/eject is exceptional, twice better than the JVC. One needs to have both.

As for the EDIT vs NORM, I'd say that the NORM looks better to my eyes in the sense that eliminates the noise better, but I can understand why some folks prefer the EDIT mode in order to manually deal with the capture later. Again, not ruling out anything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What a stupid topic.

Thanks to ls for actually explaining what the OP is barking about. Which he failed to do miserably.

And my vote goes for Pepper Sauce
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    What a stupid topic.

Thanks to ls for actually explaining what the OP is barking about. Which he failed to do miserably.

And my vote goes for Pepper Sauce
    Its strange for a ba fan to be so surgically removed from humour
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have the NV-HS860 myself (is that what you meant to write?) and always keep the TBC on and the noise reduction off. I prefer to do my noise reduction later in AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Wabbit Season!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I have the NV-HS860 myself (is that what you meant to write?) and always keep the TBC on and the noise reduction off. I prefer to do my noise reduction later in AviSynth.

Hi manono, yes that's the one I have. And what do you think of its picture mode? I think I prefer the auto.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I haven't used it in about a year. I'm in the US and bought it to handle PAL tapes sent to me from time to time. So I can't remember my picture setting. Sorry.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Edit and Tabasco
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Wabbit Season!

Scott
    Duck Season! Shoot!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You guys crack me up!

This reminds me of a thread on atariage.com where it stated as a discussion about an upcoming console and has turned into a discussion about tacos!

Even funnier, I believe it was a Mod that first brought up the subject of tacos, even playfully warning posters when tacos aren't mentioned enough!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Chimichangas!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Barrythecrab View Post
    Chimichangas!
    You have to add -sauce at the end to have it work here! LOL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lol
    Quote Quote  
  19. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I have a JVC HR-76XX series and I'm happy with TBC/DNR combo, Haven't come across a tape where the TBC/DNR OFF is better than it being ON, Not a single tape.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I have a JVC HR-76XX series and I'm happy with TBC/DNR combo, Haven't come across a tape where the TBC/DNR OFF is better than it being ON, Not a single tape.
    But I have on my 9911. With some particularly yucky EP tapes, the TBC produces twitchy lines that are worse than the wiggles. So I have to turn it off and use the ES-15 instead.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    my 9911.
    The EOL models like 2901, 5901, 101, 9911 don't age well at all. These must be babied from the start, and for whatever reason can easily produce lower quality pictures, including merely enabling DNR. Head wear is the main issue, but all the plastics in the transport don't help. This isn't a model series to be avoided, but the units need extra inspection, sometimes comparison. If you're having timing issues introduced, odds are it's the unit. But you'd need to compare it to another series JVC deck to verify it's not the tape, or a tape>deck interaction. Yet another reason to have 3x+ VCRs per workflow.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post

I have not used it on one, where partly the tape was in bad condition in places from being almost broken before and then it was better with the TBC off. Actually I had to use Panasonic 860 with the TBC off and the DNR on and it played it back better than the JVC with TBC/DNR on or off. I think Panasonic is better for next to destroyed tapes in places.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    my 9911.
    The EOL models like 2901, 5901, 101, 9911 don't age well at all.
    Head wear certainly wasn't the issue. I was the original owner and the deck didn't have very many hours on it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would reply but am too busy counting all the votes for the 'POLL'
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Me too.

[Attachment 47345 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  26. What I can't believe is that anyone in 2018 still cares about VHS.

Why won't you guys just let that horrible technology die already, throw those VCRs and VHS tapes in the trash and join the 21st century already.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    What I can't believe is that anyone in 2018 still cares about VHS.

Why won't you guys just let that horrible technology die already, throw those VCRs and VHS tapes in the trash and join the 21st century already.
    The simple answer is that there are videos on VHS tape that are found on no other "better" home media. And in some cases (quite a few of the ones on which I work), the VHS sources are actually better than the videos found on later released DVDs, especially when those later DVDs use VHS tapes as their own sources.

I work on movies, but what about the person whose family videos are on VHS tape and he/she wants to convert them to a more modern and durable digital format? What other choice is there? Since your post does nothing to further the conversation, in my opinion it comes dangerously close to trolling. No one has to justify anything to you.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM

That's more like it
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Me too.

[Attachment 47345 - Click to enlarge]
    Oh you naughty blue man you!

Hmmm...I wonder if I have any blue dollars.
    Quote Quote