VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got my old 3/4" Umatic Sony deck out. After running the transport briefly, I was getting error 2 on the machine panel. Apparently this code is tape slack. Anyone know of a fix for this or does it mean I'll have to find someone who can still repair these decks and take it in?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Open it up and, with the lights down low (or cover up the tape sensors), take a look at what is happening. Is the takeup reel turning in PLAY mode?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It came up with this error in rewind mode as well as play. My one video guy seems to think it could be a belt issue, but I don't know if this deck uses belts or is direct drive. It wouldn't even go into play mode, so I suspect your answer may be no.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    The reels probably aren't being driven. There is a belt that powers the idler and it could be worn out. Or the idler tire is hardened and doesn't grip the reel tables. Or the idler doesn't swing back and forth properly. Fixing any of these problems means taking the deck apart to some extent and may require replacement parts.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Kinda what I figured. Problem is finding someone in Vancouver that will still fix these old decks, assuming it can still be fixed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    You may have to ship the unit some distance. I'm in the same boat, which is why I have learned to do some repairs myself.
    Quote Quote