VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a piece of software that will convert 22 files from LQ Mkv to HD MKV super fast , I have software for this but it takes 3 days! Is there one that will do it in <1/hr ? John
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can't increase the quality of a video by re-encoding it.

Most of the free converters use x264 for encoding. There's a 100 fold difference in encoding time between the fastest (ultrafast) and slowest (placebo) presets in x264. If you want faster encoding use a faster preset. If you have a recent Intel CPU with Quicksync, or a GPU with hardware encoding, you can get faster encoding using that hardware encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an and 2g on a hp laptop.
    what is the fastest preset.
    Quote Quote  
  4. x264 presets from fastest to slowest:

ultrafast
    superfast
    veryfast
    faster
    fast
    medium
    slow
    slower
    veryslow
    placebo

There's not much speed difference bewteen ultrafast, superfast, and veryfast. But quality/size is significantly better with veryfast. Speeds slower than veryfast give slightly better quality at each step but take longer and longer to encode.
    Quote Quote  
  5. why are you doing this? If LQ is "low quality", re-encoding it will make it lower quality . Something like "VLQ" I guess
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    "Fastest" solution: Playback with madVR. No conversion, just upscaled playback. Upscaling in most converters won't look much better.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Not necessarily VLQ, additional post processing/filtering may improve visually LQ source then recompressing this to new file may be not so bad but because OP didn't provided any information this is purely hypothetical discussion - unless case look like: recompress source with only higher bitrate and without any filtering then it may be better than LQ.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by RBCC View Post
    I have software for this but it takes 3 days!
    If you had started encoding when you posted this message you'd be done by now.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What converter do you recommend? That has the speed settings for h.264?
    Quote Quote