VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I need helping resolving video capture issue with my VHSC cassette capture . After capturing, I lost the color quality such the brightness of the colors,the various level of shades..etc.
    I experimented to capture over 30 hrs of VHSC and 2 VHSs. Some of the tapes go back as far as early 90 up to 2003.
    I was happy I manged to archive all the videos with the majority of the tapes in average to good condition with few lines and wrinkles in some of the tapes, some tapes have lots of noise and bad quality.

I am using new Toshiba player as a source connected to MiniDv Camera /Cannon ZR60 via AV cable that comes with ZR60 .
    The ZR0 has a pass through AV to DV out.
    From the ZR60, I have fire wire cable with an adapter( convert normal fire wire to mini fire wire) that goes into the mini fire wire port on my think pad laptop.
    For capturing software , I am using free Microsoft software movie maker

The colors quality and definitions remain high and very good on the Cannon ZR 60 small display but not on the recording. I am guessing the issue with fire wire cable signal loss or capture software.

I am happy to invest in whatever such as software or fire cable if maintain the colors quality to an extent, but need help from experts out there.

Thank You

Jim
    Quote Quote  
  2. Camera display screens tend to be more contrasty and more colorful than the actual image. In all probability you are seeing what is actually on the tape.

If there is a loss of signal it's not on the firwire side, as that is a pure digital transfer -- any errors will be dramatic picture breakups, not subtle color shifts.

It's possible you're losing information between the VCR and the camera. If you have the option to pass your analog signal via an s-video connector rather than composite that will help.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can easily adjust brightness and colors if the captured files aren't too far off. Upload a short sample.
    Quote Quote