VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thinking about getting an iMac but need some clarification on iMovie. Is there any limit as far as how long of a projet/video it can save/render? Like can it make a 1hr + movie from my camcorder? That leads me to my next question.. the camcorder is a Sony HDR-HC3, I think it saves in .mts format, will iMovie import these with no issues? I don't want to have to convert files to get them into iMovie. And lastly will exporting/rendering from iMovie to bluray format work? Can you burn to bluray discs the finished product?

thanks in advance..
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by wingfan View Post
    Is there any limit as far as how long of a projet/video it can save/render?
    Shouldn't be a problem.

Originally Posted by wingfan View Post
    the camcorder is a Sony HDR-HC3, I think it saves in .mts format, will iMovie import these with no issues?
    It's an HDV camera, and an older one at that. You need FW400>FW800 which if you search the last few days of posts you will find people have had limited success making work on newer imacs.

Originally Posted by wingfan View Post
    will exporting/rendering from iMovie to bluray format work? Can you burn to bluray discs the finished product?
    Apple believes discs are dead, so make sure you have the right hardware and software on your machine. It's an add-on.

They sure are pretty though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you're serious about doing movie editing on a Mac look at Final Cut Pro (or whatever it's called nowadays). If your motivation is the included software, you will be severely limited in your ability to work with your recordings. You absolutely need Firewire connectivity to import your movies; it is possible to import other ways, but you will have to jump through hoops and use intermediate conversions (been there, done that).

You would be better off with a nice i5 PC and one of the Sony Movie Studio package or Adobe Premiere Essentials (both around $100).

BTW, AFAIK Macs don't natively support Bluray. Final Cut adds this abitlity or use third party programs, but in both cases you have to get a compatible bluray burner.
    Last edited by nic2k4; 4th Jul 2013 at 12:31.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the replies.. was leaning on iMovie because of its resemblance and simplicity that used to in PC world (Pinnacle Studio).
    Quote Quote  
  5. FWIW, Pinnacle Studio is more capable than iMovie.
    Quote Quote  
  6. FCP (Advance) > Pinnacle Studio (Pro) > iMovie (Basic)
    Quote Quote  
  7. What you'll have to get on a modern iMac is FCPX -- truly awesome capabilities for the price. (Though it pissed off all the professional FCP 7 editors apple unceremoniously abandoned.)

But you're still stuck trying to get the video from your HDV camera in to your mac and getting Blu Rays out.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok think im convinved way to go is system build pc and use pinnacle 16, thanks guys!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    You would be better off with ...Sony Movie Studio package or Adobe Premiere Essentials (both around $100)..
    Strongly suggest you check out free trials of these before making your final software decision.

Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i don't think imacs even have ieee1394 firewire ports anymore. if not you are not going to get the video off the cam.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    i don't think imacs even have ieee1394 firewire ports anymore. if not you are not going to get the video off the cam.
    youre right too much hassle.. only thunderbolt ports so need the $29 thunderbolt to firewire cable, forget that.. even no bluray/dvd burners, have to get external. not worth it at all. pc way to go for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And those converter cables don't work for video cameras...
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And nobody mentioned how cool the iMac's look. So what if they don't do all that technical mumbo-jumbo. I heard they're used as chick magnets too.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    And nobody mentioned how cool the iMac's look.
    I did! Post #2
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    And nobody mentioned how cool the iMac's look.
    I did! Post #2
    Hahaha, I was being snarky. Trying to blend in here undercover.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have to ask the op, have you used Pinnacle Studio 16? I have it installed on my custom build and while it has some nice features, it can be quite buggy. I find myself saving my projects often because I don't know when the program will crash. Bluray authoring is good, but the chapter point placement is not accurate. I am not trying to turn you off of the software, but thought you should be aware that it is buggy if you didn't know already

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
    I have to ask the op, have you used Pinnacle Studio 16? I have it installed on my custom build and while it has some nice features, it can be quite buggy. I find myself saving my projects often because I don't know when the program will crash. Bluray authoring is good, but the chapter point placement is not accurate. I am not trying to turn you off of the software, but thought you should be aware that it is buggy if you didn't know already

Brainiac
    i have not tried it yet .. was going to wait for new system to use it, but thanks for the head's up. It's time anyways for a new system build and PC just has much more video editing options that I can go with if Pinnacle 16 blows.
    Quote Quote