VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am editing some files that are in AVC HD- Mpeg4 format. I need to export them out to the exact same format. But my older Mac can't seem to create that format. I have scoured the computer for that format. I can find Mpeg 4 but it doesn't meet all the other specs of the original format. How can I either render out to the AVC HD-Mpeg format or convert a file to the format?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, unfortunately Macs don't really support native AVC HD.. the best way of working with these files generally (if you're using FCP) is to convert them to ProRes before editing.. or even import using 'log and transfer' which converts them anyway.
    Apparently things are a little easier if you're using FCPX.. but I'm assuming you wont have this as you mention your Mac is 'older'.

Unfortunately you may be fighting a losing battle trying to work with AVCHD natively on a Mac... Do you really have to output back to AVCHD? Where is your finished video going to end up?

Dan
    Freelance Lighting Cameraman / Editor
    http://danielsoekov.com
    Quote Quote  
  3. Quicktime Pro can export to mp4 with video passthrough. What do you mean by editing, and what software are you using?
    Quote Quote