VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Good Day All ...

I'm using iMedia Deluxe Converter for Mac.

My goal is to extract episodes to store on hard drive to play using on Roku via Plex.

When I input the DVD to the program it shows aspect is 720*540.

Even though DVD plays fine on TV (fully fills screen), when I play the extracted/converted file the picture is square.

Contacted iSkySoft (makers of iMedia) and was told to change to 16:9 in aspect ratio settings and resolution to 1280*720 then convert.

I did that and it does solve the aspect ratio so it fully fills TV screen properly, but the quality deteriorates.

Which I expected might be an issue being it's being converted up in resolution.

If I select 16:9 but do not change the resolution, it plays back square on TV screen.

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to video conversion, so please bear with me.

Is there anyone using iMedia Converter for Mac who can give me some pointers?

Or is there a better program to accomplish what I'm trying to do?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Don't use 1280x720. Use max 720x480/576 with 16:9 aspect ratio.

Or try free software like handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  3. While waiting for replies I tried changing it to 640*360 (1/2 of 1280*720) and gave that a shot. File was still converting when I received notice there was a response. The 640*360 worked. Quality much better and of course took far less time to extract/convert. Thanks so much for the response, it's much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That 720x540 business is the age-old QT-related bug. What you've got is really 720x480 SAR, with a DAR of 16:9 (probably), but the player (converter?) isn't respecting either the DAR or the PAR.

You should not be CONVERTING (as in re-encoding) anything. Roku itself should be able to handle the VOB/MPGs and respect the AR flags, so it's just a matter of using the correct ripping app. You should only be converting if: 1. your media player doesn't accept the original native format of the files (or respect the AR flags), or 2. you have file-size limitations that require them being smaller.

Not sure the best Mac-based ripper apps right now...will let someone else provide that info.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. The program allows you to extract and choose aspect ratio, resolution, etc. By using it and creating a file like I just did, it also creates a smaller file. I want the file to be good quality but not take up a ton of hard drive space. The program even has pre-sets for various devices such as iPhones, iPads, etc. What I did a few minutes ago worked perfectly fine. No need to rip using iMedia Converter. The file is extracted and saved in format you wish. As for Mac-based rippers, the best one I ever used was MacTheRipper. Now that I've found the resolution-solution via iMedia Converter, I'm thrilled with the outcome and speed at which the program does what I want it to do. Thanks again everyone for the info and your help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MacTheRipper works fine in most cases. But Mac DVDRipper Pro is the best.
    Quote Quote