VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. HELP...
    I am trying to back up all of the X Files episodes, and I am off to a bad start.
    So far it is not like ripping a movie, there are 4 episodes per disk, and they are spead out across several .vobs, and the .ifo's are not helping. and Flask crashes trying to open each .vob individualy, so I can ripp them, and then edit back together.
    Has anyone done this successfully, and if so, how??
    Thanks

PS, I did search for help...
    NeWcS wrote:
    What I did with the X-files seasson4 was:
    Smartripper>dvd2avi>tmpg. When using TMPG i'd use the 'Source range' at the start of each ep, when I saw the creditd i knew it was time for the next ep.
    This is how I did it.
    Put each ep on 1 80min cd SVCD w/ nice high BR. Looks killer
    -Hope this helps

But O am not wanting VCDs, how to ripp to .AVI???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    two easy ways:
    one, when useing smartripper, select the first episode's chapters, i.e. 1-4, save this in a folder "ep1" then deselect 1-4, select 5-8, and save to "ep2" you will then have seperate vobs for each episode.
    two, rip the whole lot, run DVD2AVI, open in tmpgenc, select the first episdoe in the source range, select file - output to file - AVI file, select your preferred AVI codecs, then save it as "episode1"
    it's really not that hard........
    Quote Quote  
  3. I already ripped X FIles season 4 and it was easy but took very long time. I used DVD2AVI, VFAPIConv and nandub. Each DVD i ripped and converted is less than 1GB and VERY HQ. I had a hard time splitting them tho; the resulting framerate when splitted is veru low something like 4fps! But this can be fixed easily if u split, demultiplex and then multiplex again. The multiplexed file is not always perfect and u may have to adjust audio/video sync with Interleaving under the aduio menu in nandub or virtualdub. But it is worth it trust me. My x-files rips are already in winmx u may wanna check them out first.
    Quote Quote  
  4. flaninacupboard, Thakns
    I had never messed with the chapter settings in SmartRipper, that worked perfectly!
    -=CHAZ=-
    Quote Quote  
  5. this might help something i posted in another forum. i think with using say reel dvd and some motion menu's you could make youself some sweet xfiles backups. at least part if this will allow you to get al your episodes into one vob. then you can frameserve dvd2avi from there by cutting out each episode. and doing what you want with them.

havent worked with dvd much. mostly svcd. but i recently just made a pretty good quality dvd-r with ac3 audio. and it really wasnt all that complicated.

a 7 gig dvd with just the 4 x files episodes about 180 mins of vid came in at 3.5 gig on the dvd-r.

i dont know if this will help you but. here is what i did

1. ripped "entire" dvd with smart ripper

2. used ifoedit to strip streams into one LARGE vob file came about 7 gigs

3. loaded the vob file into tmpegs latest version and used the tools to simpe demux the audio only into a 257 or so meg ac3 file.

4. Frame served vid only from the single vob using dvd2 avi using kwags
    half d1 compliant template for video only modified cbr from 2500/300 70% to 3000/2100 80%

5. popped both the m2v and ac3 file into dvd it pe burned to dvd-rw (sucess)

6. burned to dvd-r sucess

only complaint is with dvd it. making the chapters was a pain in the ass.
    and for some wierd reason at one point it stopped being able to play the m2v file. however to make the chapters i just read the times off the display in my soft dvd player from the dvd-rw i had pre authored with. burned any way and it came out fine.

if anyone intrested to check out the quality mail me i'll email a 10 second clip of the vid only to you.

-J
    Quote Quote