VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Here's the problem:

I want to install win7 (64bits) on an old hdd which contain a Xp partition (i don't want to loose it).This partition takes all the hdd space indeed (about 180gb) so i thought perhaps a good tool would allow me to schrink the size of this partition (to about 160gb would be enough) in order to have some unallocated space.
    Other problem the xp partition contain windows files but doesn't boot anymore for some reason, and i use another hdd since like 6 months now. I can see that as a problem if i want to boot on the win7 unless somehow i displace it and the win7 partition becomes the 1st partition ? Enlighten me please

Ive read (on wikipedia) Norton Partition Magic can do all that altough it's not sold anymore. Anyone tried this soft and operations successfully before ? How safe is it ?

Thanks for your inputs
    Last edited by themaster1; 6th Nov 2011 at 21:03.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Gnome Partition Editor > GParted via bootable iso / usb ... iso is 110mbs.

As the drive is questionable Id backup the data by trying macurium reflects boot cd before making partition changes ... if it errors during the imaging of the drive then its a question of risk ... if the data is valuable then install win 7 on another drive instead.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I believe my question was more about Norton partition magic and its capabilities, wasn't it ? Thank you anyways
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your system is 64 bit Norton partition magic won't work in it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It was ... but you should not use that old version to setup partitions or make modifications when it comes to window 7 setup ... it has bugs that can royally screw up a new windows 7 install
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    I believe my question was more about Norton partition magic and its capabilities, wasn't it ?
    Bjs gave yo sound advice, why would you want o use date software on a new install, especially when you have expressed concern over about your XP data. The two apps bjs mentioned are what i use to set up dual boots on systems that have a previous OS installed. The software is very easy to use and they're many guides on line. AIf you uncomfortable using Linux products you can try Paragon Partition Manager its windows based but the previous mentioned software are much better imo.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    I believe my question was more about Norton partition magic and its capabilities, wasn't it ? Thank you anyways
    Like you said. It was acquired from PowerQuest by Symantec and promply discontinued in favor of Symantec's less capable program Ghost.

GParted is free and does much the same. Put it on a self booting Linux disc. Like the old Partition Magic, it will re-size a Windows partition without refomat which would delete the files. Backup first just in case. I've never had a problem with GParted.

PS: I'd bet an old version of NPM would be limited to 4GB or 8GB hard drives. It is that old.
    Last edited by edDV; 7th Nov 2011 at 17:02.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote