VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is my situation...My laptop died recently and it's far too expensive to fix but I thought maybe I could use the serial number that came with it to install Win 7 onto another desktop. Can I use my Win 7 HP 64 serial number on a new pc build? I do have a purchased Win7 HP 64 retail disc with a key but it's not what came with the laptop. So basically I have 1 disc with a key and the dead laptop with another key that came with it. Can I install Win7 HP 64 onto 2 different pc's since I have 2 keys or no? I'm not quite sure how this works so I thought I'd ask first.

thanks

mt
    Quote Quote  
  2. Probably not. OEM licenses are usually locked to the OEM BIOS. It might work if the new motherboard is from the same OEM.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Does the authorization code have "OEM" in it? If not, it might work and is worth a shot. I have recently used a number of old Dell auth codes for XP, their install disks are keyed to a Dell mobo but at least some of the auth codes are not.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it says "windows 7 home premium oa"....from reading online i don't get to install it on anything but this dead laptop...whatta jip lol

oh well...thanks for your input guys...it put me in the right direction
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    whatta jip lol
    You got that right, bud!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try it, what do you have to loose?
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    any thing hp is oem and may work fine with any hp computer (bios) that support win7/vista.

try it out

best of luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Moontrash, look this link: Backup Activation

Claudio

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can tell you that I had a dead asus all in one that I parted out but I kept the coa. I installed it on another computer and it works great. I had to call microsoft through there automatic register system but it authorized it immediately. Hope that helps.
    Quote Quote