VideoHelp Forum
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can not use this preset to create a DVD file for burning.

it creates a 0 size file upon completion.

I have troubles using DVD ffmpeg before.

Why will it not encode?

Thanks
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Window.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	9309  

Search Comp PM
    If you would click the blue "i" in the ffmpegX Progress window, you would get access to the log. Possibly that log would end with an error like "Codec mismatch for mapping". If that is the case, then the error can be solved by setting the "Invert mapping" checkbox in the Audio tab, before hitting the Encode button.

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The video encoded file plays fine, the audio ac3 file does not.

This an HD 1080i quicktime video file produced by a digital camera. I have about 60 of these videos all about 128 mb to 512 mb in capacity anywhere from 2 to 8 minutes in length, the camera max for video recording.

I want to build and burn a SD DVDs combining all the videos with best SD resolution and audio preserving the 16:9 aspect ratio.

What target format is best for this application? Is there a way to batch all the files into in a continuous video stream.

I know the application wlll require several DVD's for capacity so I wondering what file encode is best generating smaller files but clear video, and reasonable audio. Your program gives many option all generating different size files.

Thanks, I love the program.

For my next batch of videos I will use a camera setting of WVGA instead of HD.

Do you think that is a good idea.

Thank you

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RL View Post
    The video encoded file plays fine, the audio ac3 file does not.
    Make sure to use a a different player than QuickTime Player to check for the AC3 audio in MPEG-2 files, as QuickTime Player will not let you hear AC3 audio, even if you have the MPEG-2 playback Component and an A52 (AC3) Codec audio component (like from Perian). VLC or MPlayer should let you hear AC3 audio in muxed MPEG-2 files.

Originally Posted by RL
    This an HD 1080i quicktime video file produced by a digital camera. I have about 60 of these videos all about 128 mb to 512 mb in capacity anywhere from 2 to 8 minutes in length, the camera max for video recording.
    I want to build and burn a SD DVDs combining all the videos with best SD resolution and audio preserving the 16:9 aspect ratio.
    What target format is best for this application? Is there a way to batch all the files into in a continuous video stream.
    You could join the source files before converting or join the converted files. QuickTime 7 Pro, iMovie or most any movie editor could join the source files. A dedicated MPEG joiner or a recent version of Toast could join the converted files.

Originally Posted by RL
    I know the application wlll require several DVD's for capacity so I wondering what file encode is best generating smaller files but clear video, and reasonable audio.
    DVD-Video for playback on any set top player in SD resolution basically has one option (MPEG-2 for DVD), as the other formats are not compatible. However, ffmpegX has four DVD presets (DVD-lo, DVD mpeg2enc, DVD ffmpeg, KDVD). I use DVD mpeg2enc most of the times, as it is quite good and has less possible issues. DVD ffmpeg is faster, though. DVD-lo and KDVD use a lower resolution and other tricks to get more stuff on a DVD, at the cost of some quality.

Originally Posted by RL
    Your program gives many option all generating different size files.
    It's not my program (I am just a user), but yes it does have many options for loads of different purposes.

Originally Posted by RL
    For my next batch of videos I will use a camera setting of WVGA instead of HD.
    Do you think that is a good idea.
    Yes, 800x480 should decode faster than HD, making it easier for converting to SD.