VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone suggest a software (preferably something simple) to change the speed (to make it just slightly faster) of MPEG movie clips? (using a PC). Does doing this change the video quality?

Thanks

Miz
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just curious why you want to do this? Are you converting pal to ntsc or vice versa ... or is it something else.

As previous poster mentioned avisynth can do it. Heavy learning curve. Something you can't live without once you start to learn it.

It will require a re-encode which will lower video quality.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dgpulldown may increase the speed without re-encoding.

But not knowing other stuff like the original fps, what you gonna be watching it on (standalone, pc, etc...), is it mpeg2? Can't give you more info.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DGpulldown can increase the effective framerate
    without changing the playback speed.

The OP wrote "(using a PC)", so I presume
    they meant 'speed' when they wrote 'speed'.

==============================
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    These are acually individual MPEGs of music videos, with the intention of burning a compliation DVD to be played in a DVD player on a TV screen. I'd like some of the songs to be played slightly faster than their original speed.

I don't understand "can increase the effective framerate without changing the playback speed"

If the framerate is increased would the entire playback be faster?

Miz
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Midzuki
    DGpulldown can increase the effective framerate
    without changing the playback speed.

The OP wrote "(using a PC)", so I presume
    they meant 'speed' when they wrote 'speed'.

==============================
    you can use dgpulldown to change the playback speed also....meaning the running time will be shorter

If your original playback speed is 23.976 and want it to go to 25fps, you set custom to 25 --> 25, 25 --> 29.97, etc... It's not like you're adding filters or resizing or anything so no need to re-encode when changing the speed. The output must be a valid mpeg2 framerate though, which dgpulldown lists.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mizpulp
    These are acually individual MPEGs of music videos, with the intention of burning a compliation DVD to be played in a DVD player on a TV screen. I'd like some of the songs to be played slightly faster than their original speed.

I don't understand "can increase the effective framerate without changing the playback speed"

If the framerate is increased would the entire playback be faster?

Miz
    And what is the original speed? Run it through g-spot and look under pics/sec. You are going to have to speed up the audio also to match the running time of the video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DGPulldown is the only known way to do it without re-encoding. Basically the software is intended for increasing display framerate keeping original video duration. It works with elementary progressive MPEG2 streams only. You usually set input/output values (input framerate value range can be 2/3 to 1 of the output value) and process it.
    If you want to just slightly increase duration (slow down) keeping original framerate, you can fill in a slightly smaller value (than actual) for input framerate and use original value for output. But you can't make video faster (can't use input numbers bigger than output ones), you can only do it e.g. if you are performing pulldown 23.976=>29.97 in the same process (by typing different numbers for 23.976).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't there a way to just slightly speed up the video AND the associated audio of an MPEG file?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MVW speed up or slow down video files. There are pre-set adjustments. though.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alex_ander
    DGPulldown is the only known way to do it without re-encoding. Basically the software is intended for increasing display framerate keeping original video duration. It works with elementary progressive MPEG2 streams only. You usually set input/output values (input framerate value range can be 2/3 to 1 of the output value) and process it.
    If you want to just slightly increase duration (slow down) keeping original framerate, you can fill in a slightly smaller value (than actual) for input framerate and use original value for output. But you can't make video faster (can't use input numbers bigger than output ones), you can only do it e.g. if you are performing pulldown 23.976=>29.97 in the same process (by typing different numbers for 23.976).
    He wants to speed the video up not slow it down. If he has a 23.976fps progressively encoded mpeg and wants to speed it up while keeping within ntsc framerate, he can set his input to anything between 23.976 and 29.97fps, and have his output set as 29.97. The video will play faster = meaning shorter running time. All we're talking about is playback speed or duration.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Epicurus8a
    MVW speed up or slow down video files. There are pre-set adjustments. though.
    Just tried to set speed 5/4, in export details it showed complete re-encoding intention.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Pinstripes23
    He wants to speed the video up not slow it down. If he has a 23.976fps progressively encoded mpeg and wants to speed it up while keeping within ntsc framerate, he can set his input to anything between 23.976 and 29.97fps, and have his output set as 29.97. The video will play faster = meaning shorter running time. All we're talking about is playback speed or duration.
    I meant absolutely the same in the end, but the problem is in 'if': if he has a finished NTSC MPEG video he wants to change then unlikely that video is progressive unflagged 23.976. So I assumed the video is 29.97 and if it is progressive MPEG2, video stream can be extracted and loaded into DGPulldown. Then you can only type in values lower than (or equal) 29.97 and only slow down the video.

In case the original video is 23.976 with pulldown flags you have to remove them somehow (or did you try to load it 'as is' into DGPulldown?) or try to demux video stream in DGIndex using 'Force Film' mode (can't remember will it alter video stream or just project file). So what's the best practice of doing it to MPEG video with pulldown flags?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I meant absolutely the same in the end, but the problem is in 'if': if he has a finished NTSC MPEG video he wants to change then unlikely that video is progressive unflagged 23.976. So I assumed the video is 29.97 and if it is progressive MPEG2, video stream can be extracted and loaded into DGPulldown. Then you can only type in values lower than (or equal) 29.97 and only slow down the video.

In case the original video is 23.976 with pulldown flags you have to remove them somehow (or did you try to load it 'as is' into DGPulldown?) or try to demux video stream in DGIndex using 'Force Film' mode (can't remember will it alter video stream or just project file). So what's the best practice of doing it to MPEG video with pulldown flags?
    DGpulldown is a lot more versatile than you think. You don't have to remove pulldown flags in order to re-flag it. But if you want to completely remove the flags just set custom to 23.976 --> 23.976fps, or 25 --> 25fps. As long as the output is the same as the input, dgpulldown will remove them.

If he has a 29.97 pulldown mpeg2 stream, and it is originally encoded as 23.976. Then to speed it up set input anything between 23.976 and 29.97fps, and leave output as 29.97.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't have to remove pulldown flags in order to re-flag it. But if you want to completely remove the flags just set custom to 23.976 --> 23.976fps, or 25 --> 25fps. As long as the output is the same as the input, dgpulldown will remove them.
    OK, that's what I wanted to know and couldn't find in docs. Thanks for useful info.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry for reviving topic.

But I have an add on question, if I wanted to increase the movie way more. Sort of like, showing a 20 min video into a few minutes.
    VirtualDub cant seem to go any higher then 80 fps, no matter what I set it to.

How would I do this?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi, i have video that i suspect was converted from 29.97 fps ntsc to 25 fps pal. The video plays choppy because as i think the conversion did drop frames.
    What can be done to make the video motion better, play smoother and be more watchable?
    Quote Quote