VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I just purchased the TC-P50S30 and was wondering if anyone knows of a calibration setting for it...as in what my picture settings should be set to for close to real world. I've scoured the webs with no luck. Anyone else have this TV and have a custom picture setting for it? Thanks in advance!

dbanimal
    dbanimal
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm in the same boat like you ( got the Panasonic VIERA TC-P42X3 few months ago from amazon) did you check http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/ ?

or this link

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I recently did some calibration on my older lcd hdtv. I first used the basic thx optimizer found on a lot of dvds including the star wars dvds. It did a good job but I wanted more.

I got the bluray disc verison of the digital video essentials hd version. It has extensive test patterns and tutorials on what to set and adjust and tweak. It also comes with a filter pack that has different color filters to look through to manually adjust the smpte test pattern screen.

I love my results. I use a ps3 through hdmi on my set and the calibrated settings make dvds and blurays look outstanding.

I even did the audio tests a little bit and found out I have been doing my surround (pre hdmi 5.1) incorrectly. I had the front speakers set to LARGE instead of small. This was weakening my bass output to the subwoofer (a sony 50 watt model). I switched all my speakers to SMALL and noticed a whopping improvement in the bass on the subwoofer. Whopping might be exageratting a little bit. But I noticed a definite increase in deep throbbing bass that was lacking before. I thought it was merely a factor of the wattage of the subwoofer.

For me that was worth the 30.00 or so for the bluray and then some! I'd check it out and see what you think for yourself. There is a whole website that the manufacturer of dve makes for showing what it does and doesn't do.

OR go to best buy and pay 200.00 or more and have a "pro" calibrate it properly using professional tools.

I personally would go the 30.00 route and by the dve bluray disc.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I need to check netflix if It's available for rent
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA View Post
    I need to check netflix if It's available for rent
    I think I saw in another thread it was. Whether or not it ever becomes available from all the queing is another question.

Personally I think its worth the money to own it. You should show it off in pride! Put it on the mantle! Spot light it!
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info, I'll look into DVE!
    dbanimal
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I placed an order for DVE from Amazon, should be here in a week. Wish me luck!!
    dbanimal
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by dbanimal View Post
    Well I placed an order for DVE from Amazon, should be here in a week. Wish me luck!!
    feedback on amazon isn't encouraging
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I noticed that but it looks like it worked well for the people that actually figured out how to use it. I'm usually pretty good at figuring that kind of stuff out...time and patience I suppose.

Plus the fact it wasn't expensive helped to make the purchase!
    dbanimal
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dbanimal View Post
    @mja - it does what I want I wanted it to do. I like it.
    Quote Quote