VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have made backup copies using Verbatim, TDK, and even Memorex. As far as the Video and Audio of the disc's, I can not tell any difference. What makes one better than all the others ? Is the difference how long and how good the Audio/Video lasts ? I know that when my first DVD/CD Burner starting going bad, I would burn a backup and the Writer went through the process saying it did a successful burn. When I popped it in to check out the write..... it had nothing on it, but was finalized.

I have always wanted to know which was the best disc, so on down the road the picture/sound quality didn't start deteriorating on some of my rare concert discs. I tend to stay away from Memorex because I have seen posted a lot that it they were one of the worse.

Thanks a head of time !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tcory View Post
    What makes one better than all the others? Is the difference how long and how good the Audio/Video lasts?
    The difference is chemicals, and how pure they are. Brands can tell the producing plant to create discs according to their own formula and specification, or using only supplied chemicals.
    Also quality control at a certain threshold is something that has big impact: Less factory-rejected discs allows for more product per hour, thus cheaper discs, with more coasters at the end user.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Some of the best available blank dvds are sold online at shops like rima.com and supermediastore.com. They are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden and can be bought under that name or under the JVC brand name. I recommend the 8x +R Taiyo Yuden disks.

In the past, Verbatim -R or +R were safe bets also, but Verbatim has changed suppliers for their "Life Series" disks, and those are mediocre CMC mid codes. If you can still find Verbatim in local stores that have the AZO designation on the label, those are the good ones. Best Buy used to carry them, but the last time I checked my local BB, all they had were the Life Series. You can buy Verbatim AZO disks online at the same shops I mentioned before, and at Frys or Amazon, but be careful that they are the correct type.

Most of the time when we talk about "good quality" in blank dvds we are concerned with the initial burn. Even a successful burn with mediocre media can have a lot more errors in that initial burn. And of course the data is subject to deterioration over time, and seems to occur more often in the poor quality disks.

Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim have proved to be well supported in the firmware of most drives, and you will normally get very good results using them. I still recommend burning at less than top speed available even with them. For 16x Verbatim, burn at 8x or 12x. I burn the 8x TY +R disks at 8x with no problems, but I don't try to overspeed them even when that option is available in the burning software.

For blu ray media, Verbatim has been a solid choice. Don't buy the LTH Verbatim BD-R disks unless you know for certain that your burner and playback equipment are compatible with them. Even then, I'd choose the regular, inorganic dye Verbatim BD-R disks over the LTH if possible. Other good choices are the Japanese made Panasonic and Sony 6x BD-R 25gb disks, though they are much more expensive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    TDK and Memorex are both garbage....at least the European TDKs are garbage anyway. And it's just data on your discs. There is no better picture or audio quality like the days of VHS tapes and audio cassette tapes.....either ALL of the data is there or it's not. If you are having doubts about your discs....do two things. Buy a big external hard drive and copy them to that....and do one step further and buy some Taiyo Yuden discs from RIMA.com and copy them to those too. 1 terrabyte drives are cheap nowadays. Utilize the technology.
    Quote Quote  
  5. hech54, I got (lucky I think) a WD External 2TB HD at Wal-Mart on a roll back sale for $139.00. and have just started to burn may backups to it! I'm glad you mention that it is a good thing to do, because I was wondering if that had any kind of draw back. Now I need to save up some more money and get some good blanks. I need to get the proper software for backing up my Live Concerts, Data, and Movies. (Blu-Rays) I have seen posted that I will need BD Builder (shrink) and two others that I don't know of the top of my head. Plus, I need to do it in the proper order of course. Would it be okay to get one BD-RW to practice with and then buy some of the good disc's online after I get making good backup's ?

Hey, I know this may be the wrong post/link for this question, but should I always check for Firmware for my 2TB External HD ? I have had it a couple of months and just dragged and dropped My Documents, photo's, and important info. on it. I don't keep it plugged in to my computer all the time.
    Last edited by tcory; 22nd Feb 2011 at 04:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Geez Kerry56, I wish there was something I could disagree with, BUT I CAN'T!!! I find everything you said to be absolutely true. My preference, TY (JVC) Premium (don't buy valueline) +R 8x burned at 12x followed by Verb AZO. DL Verbs, although I recently bought some JVC TY DL 8x and they weren't too bad, Verbs were more consistent, NO LTH. I don't burn anything over 12x even if rated 16x. Verb BD have been good for me too. BD MIJ Sony & Panny are good too, as you said.
    Just to backup what you said.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yay, TDK and Memowreck DVDs are garbage deluxe these days.
    If you want to spend some time (burning) & money (discs) to save you data then go for Kerrys advice.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote