+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. To explain the problem better, I made this picture in Photoshop:

Click image for larger version

Name:	wrong_ar.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	5442
    Last edited by codemaster; 5th Feb 2011 at 04:07.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They exist because the original frame isn't quite 16:9 (most movies aren't), plus there is a little margin for error when it comes to resizing to cater for the fact that most encoders are the most efficient when the resolution is a factor of 16. The resolution you needed was 630 x 360, however this would entail cropping off some of the image. You can over-ride autoGK's automatci cropping/resizing using the hidden options (crtl + F9 if I remember correctly)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. you meant 640x360 I believe; the source is 16:9, but it is anamorphic and has a resolution of 720x576 (PAL). Unlike AutoGK, Sorenson Squeeze for example, is able to output 640x360 but it doesn't have divx/xvid output, and I need to export a file other than mpeg2/dvd, that can be viewed on both pc and mac, as well as on standalone dvdplayers.

That option "Override input AR" was checked and AR was set to 16:9 before encoding, otherwise AutoGK incorrectly detects the input aspect ratio as 4:3 and encodes in 4:3 640x480.

It seems that if I set "Fixed width" to 624px in AutoGK, this will output a avi file with 624x352, a resolution much closer to 16:9. Scaled to fullscreen on a display with 1366x768, it will occupy 1361x768, so the left and right black bars will have 2.5px each instead of 15px each, barely noticeable. I'll use this solution
    Last edited by codemaster; 5th Feb 2011 at 05:55.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for the typo. It was meant to be 640 x 360.

I would use Xmedia Recode instead.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. AutoGK is always going to give you back a Mod16 resolution, so you won't get 640x360. And if you don't like the resolutions it does give you, you might go into the Hidden Options and check the 'ITU' box. That also explains why you won't often get back a real 1.78:1 ratio resolution - there just aren't that many that are also Mod16. You found one that's pretty close with the 624x352.

Also, it didn't give you the wrong aspect ratio, as the thread title claims. Also, it didn't incorrectly detect the aspect ratio. It goes by what the VOBs are (it gets that info from DGIndex). So you can thank the DVD makers for that one. They encoded the VOBs as 4:3 but set it in the IFOs to have them displayed as 16:9. What do you care about black bars anyway?
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you don't like the automatic behavior of AutoGK you should switch to tools which let you work manually. DgMpgDec, AviSynth, VirtualDub. Then you'll have absolute control.
    Quote Quote  
  7. manono, it's because those 15px black bars are noticeable. At least 2.5px black bars are way less noticeable than the 15px ones (on a 16:9 display). And the source is a signpost avi exported from Premiere using DebugMode Frameserver, with aspect ratio set to pal widescreen in premiere's movie export window, so even if the source isn't vob, AutoGK is still unable to detect the correct aspect ratio.

jagabo, I prefer AutoGK because all codec settings are done automatically, while still achieving standalone compatibility and all I have to do is type in a final file size. It seems too hard to setup xvid manually, especially when I don't know what I'm doing, unless there is a really great guide out there, wich I didn't find. Besides, I noticed that almost every xvid encode of several tv shows has 624x352, not 640x368 or 640x360
    Last edited by codemaster; 5th Feb 2011 at 09:20.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What do you do when it's a 2.35:1 movie on your monitor? Complain about the black bars above and below? They're way more noticeable.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    What do you do when it's a 2.35:1 movie on your monitor? Complain about the black bars above and below? They're way more noticeable.
    Of course not, unless that 2.35:1 movie had 15px wide black bars on the left and right sides, very noticeable on a 32" 16:9 display. You might say it's tolerable and some might not notice it, but from my point of view, it could be a distraction. It kind of draws attention since it's something that didn't occur before, with most video content. It certainly caught my attention and made me wonder if it could have wrong ar, now I know it doesn't because of Mod16, and 624x352 is closer to 16:9 than 640x368, and I suspect that that's why 624x352 is so widely used in almost all of those xvid encodes (of tv programs) released on the web
    Last edited by codemaster; 5th Feb 2011 at 10:28.
    Quote Quote