VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I was having issues burning my dvd-films with 'windows dvd maker' as they were coming out with no audio. Somebody suggested I download AVStoDVD and ImgBurn to burn my films instead. I have now done that, but have no idea how to use it. Can anyone help please? Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I guess, my short guide submitted for review to the Author does not pass-through.
    Meanwhile, if you run mediainfo on file you wanna convert to DVD and post here, may be myself or someone else can help you out.
    trust, AVStoDVD and Imgburn probably get it done what you want.
    please post media info here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I was having issues burning my dvd-films
    If your videos are already in dvd-video format, you don't need AVStoDVD. You might need to compress them slightly, to fit onto a single layer blank dvd, but you can use other tools for that.

As Bonie81 stated, we need to know what you are starting with, and MediaInfo can give us that information.
    Quote Quote  
  4. @PaulaAlmeida
    Hope you are trying to burn some DiVX or XViD clips into DVD (DVD+R) that can be played in stand alone DVD player.
    if your DiVX or XViD files contain DTS audio, probably AVStoDVD will not work.

Hope you have successfully installed AVStoDVD and Imgburn.

Read first AVStoDVD help and setup proper paths, if required.
    Makesure you have all necessary codes and other softwares installed properly.

AVStoDVD "NoInstall" package Software requirements:
    - AviSynth 2.5.7 or higher installed
    - Visual Basic 6.0 Runtime Library installed
    - Visual Basic 6.0 ActiveX file "..\AVStoDVD\Lib\mscomctl.ocx" registered (regsvr32 [filename])
    - Haali Media Splitter (Latest Version) Installed.
    - DirectShow codecs/filters needed to play media files to convert. FFDShow “http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/ “ is recommended.
    - ImgBurn 2.5.0.0 or higher installed (not mandatory, but required to build DVD ISO Images and to burn DVDs)

Step-1 : Default Settings are just fine. To fine tune preferences as an advanced user, follow detailed outlined Help. If you are newbie to AVStoDVD, you can avoid this step and step2.

Step-2 : Start a New Project or Open previously saved/existing AVStoDVD project. You may skip this step and start from#3.

Step-3 : Keep adding Good Quality Input DiVX/XViD (with AC3 or Lame mp3 Audio) Videos.
    Newbie can directly start from here and onward.

Step-4 : Not necessary as defaults are fine. -or- Set Video/Audio preferences for each title, if you wish.

Step-5 : Make static of motion DVD menu. follow detailed outlined Help.
    if you skip this step. output DVD will be without menu and start playing directly.

Step-6 : Select Target (Final Encode) Size ---> DVD-5 4.7GB

Step-7 : Select Output Format. DVD Folder, ISO image, MPEG Muxed or MPEG-ES. -----> Set it to ISO Image

Step-8 : (Optional)
    a) Save the project for future reference.
    b) Add to the job-list in case of batch processing.

Step-9 : Click start to bake and burn DVD.

Step-10: Once ISO Image file is ready in your output folder, use ImgBurn to burn DVD-ISO onto DVD+R.

Hope this will serve your purpose.
    bye...

================================================== ==========================
    It's my humble effort to help someone in a better way. I am no way AVStoDVD expert than expert user or the Author. All AVStoDVD experts are wel-comed to correct and rectify above steps towards making AVStoDVD a good piece of software.
    Last edited by Bonie81; 25th Jan 2011 at 12:52.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you very much for your replies and for clarifying that AVStoDVD is only for if the video is in dvd-video format. I'm not sure how to check this, but I believe they are, as if I burn them using the windows dvd maker, they play in my dvd player with wonderful quality image. My only issue is that for some reason, the videos are burning without audio. I have tried playing around with windows dvd maker settings but have not been able to fix this problem. I also have cyberlink dvd suite and have been able to burn a cartoon on there with no problem, but for some reason the films which I transfer to that program never fit onto the dvd disks, whereas the same film on windows dvd maker does. Is there another program which I can use to burn my films without any problems? Kerry56, you mentioned I could compress the films to make them fit... how do I do that and once it's done, could I burn them onto dvds and play on regular dvd players without any problems? Thank you Kerry and Bonie for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Bonie81 View Post
    I guess, my short guide submitted for review to the Author does not pass-through.
    [OT mode]
    Don't be so drastic, your submitted guide is a good starting point, I have just given you some advices how to improve it, before becoming worth to be published.
    [/OT mode]

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  7. @_MrC_

I am neither drastic nor sarcastic.
    Who can be the best the best judge? Only Author knows the software to the roots than anyone one else.
    Please feel free to rectify it, modify it as you wish coz it's all yours and it is in simple HTML. It's all yours.

The Guide was my effort to share something good in return while using it for FREE, as I flwed over to AVStoDVD once, and find lots of potential.

Thanking you for nice your development AVStoDVD,
    And keeping it FREE plus Open Source.
    Keep up GOOD works as usual and always.
    Thanks!

================================================== ==============================
    PS : The idea here for illustrative help was one should not blame the good tool like AVStoDVD or ImgBurn out of ignorance.
    Last edited by Bonie81; 25th Jan 2011 at 13:49.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Bonnie, your message was FAB! For a newbie (as you so correctly put it!) like me, these softwares are all completely alien! The picture, arrow and step by step guide worked wonders and answered all my questions! I am currently on avstodvd doing a film right now, but once it's done, I'm a bit lost as to what to do on the ImgBurn (sorry!). Do I chose the option that says 'write files or folders to disk' and leave all settings as they are, or are there things I need to change? Thank you so very much for your help, it really has beenn GREAT!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    If you are starting with avi files, or mp4 or other video formats, then you can use AVStoDVD to convert them to dvd-video. It will automatically produce an output of dvd-video, in the correct size to fit a single layer dvd (provided you keep the default DVD5 size output). The only thing to look for in the settings is to make certain you are making a dvd that fits your country's standard for dvds. Since you are in England, you need a PAL standard dvd.

If you are starting with dvd-video already, the only thing you need to check is the size of the file. If it is small enough to burn to a regular, single layer dvd, you can import the Video_TS folder of your dvd-video into ImgBurn and burn straight to a disk. ImgBurn is free to download and use.

If the dvd-video is not small enough to go straight onto the disk, you can use DVDShrink to compress it to fit. You can have DVDShrink output as files or as an ISO, then burn with ImgBurn. DVDShrink is also free to use.

Encrypted, commercial dvds need to be decrypted before you can work with them. DVDShrink can do this for many dvds, but fails on a great many modern dvds with extra protection. For those, decrypt with DVDFab HD Decrypter.

Again, it would help to know what your original files are. Download MediaInfo: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaInfo Install this program, open it, then examine your original files with it. I find the Tree view within MediaInfo to be the most informative. Copy and paste what MediaInfo tells you about your files here in your thread.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    You answered as I was writing that last message. Choose Write files/folders to a disc and import the finished product from AVStoDVD. You don't have to change other settings, but if ImgBurn asks to correct a setting for you, let it do so.
    Normally I change the burning speed to 8x (for most 16x speed media).

You can also set up AVStoDVD to automatically burn the output with ImgBurn. Look under Options-->Output Settings-->Burn dvd
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thank you for such descriptive and straight forward instructions, they're perfect! I have tried to download mediainfo as you suggested, but it says that I'm trying to download 32-bit version of mediainfo on 64-bit windows... what should I do about that?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    You can find the 64bit version of MediaInfo here: http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download/Windows

You want to click on v0.7.41, in the 64bit area, on the GUI line.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Keery56, you are a genius! I have just burned my 1st dvd using AVStoDVD and ImgBurn following your instructions and it worked perfectly! I downloaded mediainfo and dragged my items to there and chose treeview, but when I tried to compy and paste that info here, it wouldn't work. No worries though, cause you have fixed my problem! Many thanks for all your help and time, God bless
    Quote Quote  
  14. @PaulaAlmeida

nice to read that AVStoDVD has suited your needs. Happy users make happy developers.

@Bonie81

as I told you some times ago, the draft you sent me is a nice start. Unfortunately I have just the free time to continue the (very slow) AVStoDVD code development. No time to write or improve guides. If you (or any users) want to improve your "release 0.1" guide is absolutely welcome! But maybe it is better to open a new thread.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote